Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > AFT Maps Washington DC to Newport News

Date: 10/01/14 11:15
AFT Maps Washington DC to Newport News
Author: BoilingMan

September 30, 1976
This move involved 5 railroads: Conrail (former PRR 1mi), RF&P (105mi), Seaboard (4mi), Chessie (former C&O 59mi), and the US Army (2mi)- all told 171 miles.
A Conrail switch reassembled the train, and then a RF&P pilot crew assumed control. The RF&P crew handed off to the Seaboard at ACCA Yard in Richmond. Seaboard moved the train to Brown Street-17th Street yard (Richmond) where the Chessie crew took over. And finally the US Army received us at Lee Hall Station. The Army switcher spotted the train.
The locomotive was watered & serviced at Greendale. There were 2 pess groups- Richmond press Greendale to Providence Forge. The Newport News press Pvovidence Forge to Lee Hall.
Kind of interesting: Conrail limited us to 30mph, RF&P to 45mph, and SCL to 40mph.
The display site track is still intact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/14 13:01 by BoilingMan.

Date: 10/06/14 10:37
Re: AFT Maps Washington DC to Newport News
Author: rbx551985

It was AMAZING to see the 4449 in its star-spangled RED, WHITE AND BLUE paint-scheme blow through the east-side of Williamsburg, Va. en route to Newport News (Ft. Eustis), the morning of this run. I was having breakfast with my mom in a restaurant beside the Chessie mainline between the track and Highway 60 right at the east end of town, and ... WOW ... it came by us with whistle screaming and steam hissing, and I have been awe-struck by the 4449 ever since - in both its famous paint jobs: the Freedom Train, and its traditional S.P. "Daylight" paint. I love them both, and that engine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/14 10:41 by rbx551985.

Date: 10/11/14 12:42
Author: emd_mrs1

On Ft Eustis, the display site track is still there and is still active.

It crosses a parade field in front of the HQ building thus the rails are buried and even with the top of the always mowed grass.

Back then, Eustis had an EMD MRS1, Alco MRS1, SW7, RS4TC and a few small 45t type engines. Presently there is a GP10, GP16, and 80 tonner in use.

Michael

Date: 10/11/14 13:03
Author: BoilingMan

Okay, thanks! You can't see it on Google Earth.
I changed it.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds