Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Spreading cheer on the "Milk-Bone Local"

Date: 06/13/16 22:47
Spreading cheer on the "Milk-Bone Local"
Author: crackerjackhoghead

A few months ago, after three decades of railroading, I'd finally gleaned enough "whiskers" to hold a local. My first day on the job, I was greeted, along the way, by dozens of eager, salivating dogs, who cocked their heads sideways, as I passed, as if to ask, "What? What did I do?". You see, the engineer, who was on the job a few years ago, had started the practice of tossing dog bones to all of the canines along the route and each subsequent engineer on the job had continued the tradition. I had come to work ill prepared and went home, that first day, with my tail between my legs. Well, I wasn't about to have to face all of those sad eyes for a second day so, that night, I went out and stocked up on dog biscuits. Now, after several months of buying dog bones, I've got it down to a science. I'm probably the only one who scrutinizes dog bones, not for their nutritional value but, rather, for their arrow dynamic qualities and their ability to hold together when striking the pavement fifty feet away!

Once the dogs had me on the program, things were good again and we settled into a regular routine. However, I soon realized that there were also a number of small children, along the route, who, regularly, ran to the front window, the front gate or the end of the block, often with a reluctant parent in tow, to watch us pass and give a wave. Our job travels through some of the most under privileged communities in America. One needn't ever have been to California for the mere mention of names like South Central or Watts to conjure up notions of the sorts things that go on there. Switching one of our customers requires that we block a major street for a few moments. The move requires exactly three passes; set the empties over, shove the loads in, then grab the empties and go. One conductor timed the process and found that it took us no more than six minutes, at most. And yet, each pass finds me stopped in the middle of the street where I'm greeted by hundreds of angry motorists, honking their horns and reiterating that I'm number one. One of them is waving a gun over his head and telling me that I'd better move my train, but I pay him little mind because something else has caught my eye. Over the sea of cars, on the far sidewalk, I see a small boy, father in tow, hurrying to get to the crossing before we're gone. It got me to thinking, when does it happen? When do we cross over; from believing that, the train blocking the crossing for a few moments, is the high point of our day to; believing that, the train blocking the crossing for a few moments, is ruining our day? And then it hit me. Why am I only treating the dogs? I should do something for these kids that come out to see us each day.

So, I did some online shopping and put together these "junior engineer" care packets. Each one contains a childs engineer cap, a neckerchief and a wooden train whistle. Now, for the past month, I've been having a lot of fun tossing them out to any children along the route who show an interest in trains. Most of them are so surprised, they don't know what to say but it always elicits a smile. In one instance, a small boy was running to try and make it to the end of a tall hedgerow, to be able to see us, before we were gone. When he reached the end of the hedgerow, I brought the engine to a stop, directly across from him, stepped off, told him I thought his Thomas the Tank Engine shirt was cool and handed him one of the packets. He was so shocked that he couldn't speak but his dad thanked me on his behalf. That's been the best part. The kids get a kick out of it but, often, I can see that the parents, many of them very poor, are really moved that someone would take the time and effort to do that for their kid. By the time these children are behind the wheel, I won't be plying the rails anymore but maybe, someday, this "Milk-bone Local" will be greeted with a few more waves and a couple less angry car horns.  

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/16 22:58 by crackerjackhoghead.

Date: 06/14/16 06:28
Re: Spreading cheer on the "Milk-Bone Local"
Author: drumwrencher

They'll be talking about you for years to come, sir. May I suggest adding a small note? Say whatever, but put at least your first name (or TO "handle") so the folks will have a name to the face.
In fact, "Cracker - Jack the engineer" (or whatever you choose) might be just what kids (and parents) will remember...

For what it's worth, you rock.

Walter​

Date: 06/14/16 06:33
Author: RRTom

Good on you.  You never know how your kindness may affect others' lives.

Date: 06/14/16 06:50
Author: tomstp

Just hope some darn official doesn't throw a monkey wrench in this.

Date: 06/14/16 06:51
Author: Copy19

When I was a little kid the conductor on a Pacific Electric "red car" my mother and I were riding to Long Beach gave me a color postcard of the flashy SP Daylight. I will never forget it.
JB-Omaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/16 06:52 by Copy19.

Date: 06/14/16 07:41
Author: 3rdswitch

What a great thing you are doing. As stated, hope some local power monger doesn't put any ripples in your sea of graciousness. I used to wrap lineups around fusees to toss out to fans but sometimes got a look of "is this all"? Never thought about the little ones.
​JB

Date: 06/14/16 08:34
Author: patd3985

Great story and kind gesture, Sir! You are also rewarding us by "tossing" us this story!..There used to be a ritual of throwing off a daily newspaper to some lady along the Bend branch in Ore. years ago.  I don't know if they still do it or not...Probably not. 

Date: 06/14/16 09:46
Author: boomer

I used to throw frozen water bottles, I never got many happy looks in return though.

Still occasionally do.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/14/16 12:59
Author: CarolVoss

ATK engineer Tommy the Rocket DeLaRosa rinning the Coast Starlight used to toss the SF Chronicle to an elderly woman who lived on the Hollister ranch near Santa Barbara.  One nght the family picked him and Mario Castro up in a limo. And took them to dinner.
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 06/14/16 15:50
Author: SP4360

It depends on how they were thrown, a 90mph fast ball or a slider, lol

boomer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used to throw frozen water bottles, I never got
> many happy looks in return though.
>
> Still occasionally do.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 06/14/16 17:09
Author: boomer

Haha, I won't incriminate myself any further.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/14/16 18:44
Author: dbinterlock

SO THAT'S where that box of Milkbones on the cab floor of my Genset came from. I figured I got the Genset from some other local or yard job, where some mutts were at an industry or something, but where? Dolores? City of Industry? Now I know, the Torrance!
Class Act Crackerjack! I always toot the horn and wave to kids figuring a nice experience might someday outweigh a middle finger or rock throw. Works for adults too, I usually get smiles. But you got it going on man with those Train-Packs! That is a big deal in young lives. That is Happy Railroadin'. 

Date: 06/14/16 21:56
Author: cctgm

Great job first with the local dogs but even better with the children along the way the railroad should be proud of an employee who is trying to improve the image of a train the story of you stopping and the young boy is priceless.

keep up the good work and always have a great and safe day

Date: 06/14/16 23:08
Author: Fredo

Back in the 90's I used to print up UP line ups and with a yellow hi liter mark the off road locomotives and toss them TO member Cajon when he used to park his camper on the little hill on Cajon Pass about MP 56.6 where the north and south tracks split.I would wrap then around an un-lite fusee and toss them towards his camp site at all hours of the day or night when we would pass by. He stopped hanging around there about 2000 or so but he was always there rolling trains by and decorating his camper with Christmas lights durring the holidays..

Date: 06/15/16 18:23
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Great story  Jeff..   Before the dog biscuits were distributed along the route.  I was working with the infamous Elie Brown.  He actually decided one day to make friends with the children along the route by throwing candy from the train.  The neighbor kids would wait for us to go each direction .  The parents probably had increased dental bills but the parents and kids were always smiling!  Not one rock was thrown at us for a long time. 

When I worked the job and was doing the biscuit toss had a large rottweiler that hated the train going by his yard...  it was the house on the corner just east of the lumber yard.  After a few days of receiving a biscuit he (Bowzer) would sit on his haunches.  No more barking.  His owner would draw a sign and hang it from the wall  saying.."Thanks for the treats  Bowzer !  "   One day shoving down to the lumber yard there was a sign posted that Bowzer had passed away..  "  His owner would talk to me over the fence... and she was reminiscing about the fact that Bowzer hated the train but after a week he would hear the wig wag and get all excited to go outside !  wait for his biscuit... At one point the top number of dogs on the dole was 24 ! 

I like the new touch of the junior engineer packets...  Keep up the good work...

Date: 06/16/16 16:40
Author: pnger64

What you are doing is awesome! Keep up the good work! If its every in jeopardy please feel free to PM me and I would donate to the cause.

Date: 06/18/16 19:38
Author: trainjunkie

Too bad UP quit publishing Info magazine. This would have made a great editorial feature...until the legal department got ahold of it.

Date: 06/19/16 17:05
Author: DuneCoon

That's a neat story. Your junior engineer packets are a good idea - really puts my wave and friendly honks of the horn to shame when I go through crossings. Keep up the kindness! You never know just how much small gestures like that can mean to someone.

DC

Date: 06/20/16 15:12
Author: wa4umr

This reminded me of a story that was posted about 10 years ago.showing the kindness of a few railroaders.  I've forwarded it to a few friends.  You might wanto to grab tyhe Kleenex and click on this story.  http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,1314245

I have found out since that to boy involved seems to be doing well in life, 10 years later.

John

Date: 06/25/16 15:36
Author: Cajon92

That is to cool, thanks for sharing the story. 

Ryan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds