Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 2 days in the valley

Date: 10/22/09 18:42
2 days in the valley
Author: erie833

No, not the movie, the Cuyahoga Valley between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad runs through this beautiful area, and Alco power rules. With a couple of hard to come by warm and sunny days this week the bookings were high and many bikers took advantage of the popular "Bike and Ride" program that lets you bike one way through the park and take the train the other. This resulted in a big train with a somewhat rare double header of RS18 #1822 and C420 #365 on the south end and single unit 4241 on the north end. On Wednesday I caught the northbound train passing some fall color and a biker. The 1822/365 are trailing at this point. A little later the same train is stopped at the Boston Mills station to load bikes, and then departs with lots of that Alco trademark smoke.

RAD

Date: 10/22/09 18:49
Re: 2 days in the valley

After the smokey departure of 4241 I turned around and shot the 1822/365 on the rear. On day 2 the first train came south with the C420 leading, but there were some MU issues and they switched them out at Peninsula. #365 is shown just after cutting away from the 1822 and train to pull ahead and allow the 1822 to take siding for the flip flop. After that move was done the train pulled down to the station, passing some fall color.

Date: 10/22/09 18:53

CVSR 1822 notches up after stopping at the Indigo Lake station, and you can see the size of the train as it parallels Riverview Rd between Akron and Peninsula. All in all the CVSR is a real gem to have in my neck of the woods.

RAD

Date: 10/22/09 22:49
Author: 5-String

Very nice... I'd like to make the trip out there sometime. It would be even neater if they ran steam.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds