Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Trackside pizza in Peru IN

Date: 09/03/10 15:17
Trackside pizza in Peru IN
Author: atsf616

Harvey Hinklemeyer's, a pizza-and-sandwich shop in Peru IN, has a fairly new outdoor patio with a reasonable view of the former WAB main. These two Conrail survivors led a westbound doublestack train (with a handful of auto racks up front) Friday afternoon.

Date: 09/03/10 15:51
Re: Trackside pizza in Peru IN
Author: africansteam

Sounds like good info to file away for a future trip. One critical bit of data is missing, however. How's the Pizza? ;>

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 09/03/10 16:01
Author: atsf616

Can't vouch for the pizza, but sandwiches are excellent and prices very reasonable.

Date: 09/03/10 21:20
Author: CTCFailure

Pizza Junction in Huntington, In (about 45 mins east on US24) is in an old Wabash depot, and is right next to the NS main. Last time i was there, they had outdoor seating and the trains pass very fast and frequently, worth a stop, pizza is good also, though i havent been there in a while.

Date: 09/04/10 04:25
Author: CJ

I've been to Pizza Junction a few times, and yes you're literally right next to the mainline. Imagine eating a pizza while sitting on a train station platform; you're just elavated instead of at ground level.

Chris

Date: 09/04/10 05:54
Author: jerryheng

atsf616 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harvey Hinklemeyer's, a pizza-and-sandwich shop in
> Peru IN, has a fairly new outdoor patio with a
> reasonable view of the former WAB main. These two
> Conrail survivors led a westbound doublestack
> train (with a handful of auto racks up front)
> Friday afternoon.

Harvey's sounds cool, the name has a nice ring to it. May stop by on my next trip through, probably late this month. But it may be too cool outside for a patio by then.

I might try Pizza Junction another trip. Either place is probably better than the DQ in Delphi.

Gotta start taking side trips off 24 when I'm out there. Thanks for posting, atsf616.

Jerry Hengenius
Willoughby, Ohio

Date: 09/04/10 07:48
Author: wabash2800

It's actually a former Wabash freight house. The passenger station is still there though--to the west, past the crossing on the other side of the track. It is a square brick building that replaced the wood depot many years ago.

Date: 09/04/10 15:49
Author: DoctorThunder

Hardees has a nice view of the action as well.

Date: 09/04/10 15:58
Author: anthracite

CTCFailure Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pizza Junction in Huntington, In (about 45 mins
> east on US24) is in an old Wabash depot, and is
> right next to the NS main.

Back in the day, the Erie's passenger services had amazingly tight turnarounds in order to promote high equipment utilization and avoid buying additional (unnecessary) cars. IIRC, Jersey City-Chicago westbounds would cut the dining car off at Huntingdon for servicing and resupply, reattaching it there to returning eastbounds. Kind of an indirect link to the topic at hand, but amusing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds