Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Out with the Old, In with the New...

Date: 01/04/11 21:40
Out with the Old, In with the New...
Author: GP35

Here are some pics taken in Baltimore, Maryland on Friday December 31, 2010.

Marc's new MP36PH-3C fleet in the 10-35 numbering series is replacing the older units on it's roster. Old news to most here but I thought some of you might find my telephoto pics taken at Marc's Riverside Yard of interest showing the changeover that is happening. It appears most if not all of the red faced GP40WH-2's in the 51-69 series are awaiting disposition. Here is a deadline of the tired geeps awaiting their fate. It appears Marc's GP39H-2's in the 70-75 series will be kept around since those units were rebuilt for a 2nd time in 1998 by MPI/Boise Loco. My source of this info was the Motive Power Rosters website. Please add corrections or additions to my photo captions.

Hope you enjoy,

Gilbert

Date: 01/04/11 21:51
Re: Out with the Old, In with the New...

Here are some more Baltimore, Maryland pics taken on December 31, 2010...

Next two are of a recent addition to the Baltimore area yards. It is a genset built on a GE B boat frame. Here it is spending the New Year holiday parked in CSX's Riverside Yard which is located along I-95 and is also near the CSX Locust Point Yard in the Fort Mc Henry area in Baltimore city.

Bottom pic is Q439-30 led by CSX 922, 413, and 6052 getting a crew change at Leadenhall Street(Baileys wye area) on the old Locust Point subdivision. Time was 1:10 pm. Rear end of Q439-30 extends back into Riverside Yard. Once the relief crew is aboard Q439-30 will head toward Richmond, Virginia.

Date: 01/04/11 22:03

Next two pics are of Q439-30 heading out of Baltimore. It is seen here crossing Bush Street in Baltimore city at 1:50 pm.

Last pic is the Y139-31 waiting it's turn to go through the Howard Street tunnel and deliver its loaded coal train to Consol Coal located in the Canton district of Southeastern Baltimore city. Here it is at 2:50 pm waiting along side Mt Winan's Yard located on the western end of the city. I'm standing at the Hollin's Ferry Road crossing getting a quick snap shot of the four veteran EMD helpers attached to the head end for the uphill trip through the tunnel. Q409 went into emergency in the tunnel and the conductor had to walk the train. Since Y139-31 won't be moving anytime soon with the tunnel occupied by Q409, I called it a day and did some quick errands before heading home.

Hope you enjoyed,

Gilbert

Date: 01/04/11 22:10
Author: burgman99

GP35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are some pics taken in Baltimore, Maryland on
> Friday December 31, 2010.
>
> Marc's new MP36PH-3C fleet in the 10-35 numbering
> series is replacing the older units on it's
> roster. Old news to most here but I thought some
> of you might find my telephoto pics taken at
> Marc's Riverside Yard of interest showing the
> changeover that is happening. It appears most if
> not all of the red faced GP40WH-2's in the 51-69
> series are awaiting disposition.

There are still a few red nosed beasts roaming around on the Brunswick Line. I counted three Monday evening.

Date: 01/04/11 22:18

Thanks Jon for the info. I was wondering if any of the red faced geeps were out and about.

Take care,

Gilbert

Date: 01/05/11 06:25
Author: yhandf

Just saw a red face on the OML last night on the 5PM train going north to Frederick.

Rob H.
Keymar, MD.

Date: 01/05/11 15:51
Author: pbrasky

Here's how it looked in the 1970's. Photo taken opposite (east) of the old HB Tower (posted once before).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0655 seconds