Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Gang Mills, NY questions

Date: 07/03/11 08:16
Gang Mills, NY questions
Author: dshgamble

I was going to check out NS operations in the Gang Mills - Corning area soon. Are the locals operating out of there scheduled on a regular basis? I was especially interested in the one that goes up to Geneva. Is that still a late afternoon operation? I'm hoping that this time of year at least some of the run would be in daylight. Does that run as a turn? If so, when is it likely to be at Geneva?

Which (if any) NS road freights stop to work Gang Mills? Any regular times they can be seen?

Also, how about the B&H operation that comes in from Cohoctan to interchange with NS at Painted Post. Is that fairly regular this summer?

Thanks for any info!

DG

Date: 07/03/11 10:36
Re: Gang Mills, NY questions
Author: 2839Canadian

The Bath & Hammondsport Railway is at Cohocton, NY. They have three C424s, painted black and gold for their main power. Also at Cohocton there were two six axle MLWs and an Alco S-1 in the yard when we were there this week. They run Mon-Wed-Fri, departing about 9:00 AM, and running south from their yard in Cohocton taking propane cars to a facility in Savona, NY. Be sure to go into the office and ask to take photos in the yard before doing so. Since they haul loaded propane cars they will not tell you anything about the day's operations. However the usual drill is to first stop at Savona, then continue south to Painted Post, NY. Chasing these trains is very easy-just go a mile east from Cohocton, get on route 415 and head south. This road closely parallels the line. The B&H trains will stop just short of the street running portion in Painted Post and wait for an NS train from Gang Mills to arrive and set off cars.

Another nearby all-Alco line is the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville Railroad which has an RS32, two C425s and a high hood C420. It runs on an ex-Erie branch which was electrified and ran interurban trains many years ago. It runs Monday through Friday, departing Lakeville, NY in the morning and goes north to a CSX connection near Rochester, NY. It returns in the afternoon, with superb lighting most of the way. Its yard is at a corn syrup plant in Lakeville on route 15, on the right, a mile north of Lakeville. Be sure to go in the office and check in before taking any photos. At Industry, NY, near Rush, the line passes the ex-Erie Industry station, where the Rochester & Genesee Valley RR Museum is located. There are two Alco RS engines right at the station, plus several other engines, interesting equipment and rolling stock at the museum. The museum is not fenced. The LA&L's frequencies are 160.830 161.205 161.175

Another nearby shortline, which is all-EMD, is the Wellsboro & Corning Railroad. They usually run Mondays and Thursdays, departing from the Tioga Central yard just north of Wellsboro, PA to the NS in Gang Mills, NY, near Corning. They have four SD40-2s with bright red cabs and grey hoods. I have not chased these trains, however others have informed me this is a very easy chase, with lots of good photo locations, especially along the west shore of Hammond Reservoir. The chase road is PA route 287 which turns into U.S. Route 15 just north of Tioga, PA.

Date: 07/03/11 16:29
Re: Gang Mills, NY questions
Author: biff

LA&L does not have an RS32, it is an RS36, it started out as NKP 865, became N&W 2865 and then ONCT 86. It is now LA&L 418.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds