Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Cumberland Coal Resources, LP in Kirby, PA.

Date: 02/09/12 17:59
Cumberland Coal Resources, LP in Kirby, PA.
Author: jmbreitigan

I stumbled across a post on the PIT Rails yahoo group this past Jan. A gentlemen by the name of Steven McKay had visited the operation at the Cumberland Mine located a little west of Kirby, PA. I am not able to post his link on TO. I can PM it if you desire.

He even was invited to watch the loading of the cars and took a some cool pictures. Today I decided to check the area out. I got on I-79 southbound from Washington, Pa. I got off the Kirby exit and headed west on Kirby road towards the mine. Nothing there so I headed east towards Alicia Harbor Facility where the coal is unloaded for transport on barges. This facility is located north of Greensboro, PA. In fact Grays Landing is right across the Monongahela river on the eastern side. As I was approaching the Alicia area I caught the end of the train heading back to the mine. The chase was on. I was able to find a place right where the line goes under Mapleton road where I was able to take a few quick pictures even though the light was harsh. I knew I had several hours before they would return loaded so I explored a little around the Alicia Harbor Facility. I took a picture of some buildings and it looks like this is where the train is serviced. The line from the mine to the docks is only 18 miles long and there are 14 bridges the line crosses along the way. I noticed a bridge near the Alicia facility and it had a sign stating bridge 14. I took a few pictures of the loaded coal manifest at bridge #4 at Roberts Run road a little east of I-79. There are several vantage points for pictures that I noticed even though it was my first visit. Soon as you locate some good spots and see the train it is pretty easy to get ahead of it to take pictures as the area is all rural. The train consisted of a well used engine on both ends and about 40 cars. Steven says that the engines are SD-38-2's on his site. Kind of neat checking out operations like this.
Enjoy, John

1. Empties westbound to the mine at Kirby at Mapleton Road.

2 & 3. Same manifest but on th other side of Mapleton Road. Engine #22 brings up the rear.

A few more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/12 18:00 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 02/09/12 18:05
Re: Cumberland Coal Resources, LP in Kirby, PA.

4. Alicia Harbor Facility buildings. This was the name on the fence near the entrance. This is where I assume the train is serviced.

5. Loaded coal manifest heading east to Alicia Harbor Facility on bridge #4.

6. Took a picture to show the symbol on the car. Still on bridge #4.

One more

Date: 02/09/12 18:08

7. Bringing up the rear of the loaded coal manifest on bridge#4.

This brings an end to an enjoyable day.

Date: 02/09/12 18:51
Author: agrafton

Nice catch and chase photos John, do they have engines on each end for push-pull?
I ask as you mentioned 40 hoppers which isn't to far to walk or possibly single track
where these engines roam?

alan

Date: 02/09/12 20:15
Author: DJ-12

Very nice John, I've never managed to get them moving...

Date: 02/10/12 04:36

agrafton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice catch and chase photos John, do they have
> engines on each end for push-pull?
> I ask as you mentioned 40 hoppers which isn't to
> far to walk or possibly single track
> where these engines roam?
>
> alan

Thanks Alan. Looks like they operate push-pull.
John

Date: 02/10/12 04:39

PittsburghMike Wrote:
> Very nice John, I've never managed to get them
> moving...

Thanks Mike.
John

Date: 02/10/12 05:37
Author: Out_Of_Service

nice set of photos John ... there was/is a similar operation 35 miles south of Mingo Jct ... where the coal is loaded at the facility of then (not sure what is now)Ohio Valley Resources Powhatan #6 mine in Alledonia,Oh located on the Captina running track to a barge loading facility 16 miles away on the Ohio near Captina Jct on the River Line ... Conrail stole(in a non violent coup) the operation from trucks back in 1990 from a trucking operation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/12 05:45 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 02/10/12 05:52
Author: csx6574

agrafton Wrote:
> Nice catch and chase photos John, do they have
> engines on each end for push-pull?
> I ask as you mentioned 40 hoppers which isn't to
> far to walk or possibly single track
> where these engines roam?
>
> alan

Engine on both ends, both facing east. Engineer only crew. No major grade crossings that I know of. I've had the best luck being at the mine first thing in the morning. The train moves just fast enough that you really should know what you want to do ahead of time. One wrong turn and you could find yourself hopelessly out of the chase. Also be aware of school buses and dump trucks that will inevitably slow you down...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0986 seconds