Home Open Account Help 188 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS/UP Hertiage paper

Date: 03/01/12 09:35
NS/UP Hertiage paper
Author: Bath_wildcat

For the final paper in my Composition and English class, I have to write about the Norfolk Southern hertiage locomotives, and the Union Pacific hertiage locomotives. The propsal for the paper is below, so any and all info to help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for rude or cruel comments, just the information to develop this paper into one that could be published. At this time, I DO NOT need any negative comments, so please refrain from those, and I will be contacting Andy Fletcher, as NS is using his artwork for the hertiage schemes.

Proposal

Problem: Deciding which predecessor railroads to honor for Norfolk Southern 30th Anniversary, and what paint schemes the locomotives will wear.

Solution: Reducing down the number of predecessor railroads to a manageable number, and contracting an artist to come up with renditions of the paint schemes.

Idea 1: Deciding on honoring the predecessor railroads of Norfolk Southern with a heritage fleet.

Idea 2: What does it take to make this happen, while keeping it under wraps from the public.

Idea 3: Compare and contrast Union Pacific’s heritage program from 2005 to the Norfolk Southern heritage program today.

Idea 4: Finalizing the paint schemes of the heritage fleet, while deciding on what locomotive would be best fitted for the paint schemes chosen to represent Norfolk Southern heritage.

Possible Sources:
Norfolk Southern, www.nscorp.com, copyright 2012
Trainorders, www.trainorders.com, copyright 2012 Todd Clark, Canyon Country, California
Railroad Forums.com www.railroadforums.com Copyright 2012, Bob Harbison
Union Pacific, www.up.com Copyright 2012

Working Thesis Statement:
Consider two class one railroads deciding to honor their heritage with paint schemes derived from the predecessor railroads. What would it take to get a program like this running, and what, and if, how many locomotives would wear the paint schemes to honor those railroads? In light of Norfolk Southern’s decision to honor its own past, Union Pacific honored their past with six different locomotives, while NS is honoring 18 of its past railroads that make up Norfolk Southern today. We will take a look at both the Union Pacific heritage locomotives, and Norfolk Southern heritage locomotives, while comparing and contrasting the similarities and difference these railroads have between each other.

Date: 03/01/12 10:15
Re: NS/UP Hertiage paper
Author: midwest

UPs program had as much to do with protecting the licensing of its trademarks as it did honoring its heritage.

NS's program is all about its heritage.

Midwest

Date: 03/01/12 10:31
Author: ts1457

midwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UPs program had as much to do with protecting the
> licensing of its trademarks as it did honoring its
> heritage.

It didn't exactly work for them as planned.

Date: 03/01/12 13:23
Author: Out_Of_Service

is this for your online degree in Photography ??? ... also if you're going to write a paper you better proof read for spelling errors unlike you did here ... TrainOrders has a built-in spell checker for posting threads that a lot of people either don't know how to use refuse to use or just don't know it's available ... hint: if a word has a underline when typing a post then it's not spelled right ... there are a few word exceptions that show up as misspellings that aren't but they can be checked with the spell checker feature

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/12 13:31 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 03/01/12 13:36
Author: Bath_wildcat

All this is for is the final paper. This is the proposal for that paper, and yes it is intersting to compare and contrast the UP hertiage program with the NS hertiage program. I also know about the spell checker, but this is a rough proposal, not a perfect one. This is for my degree, as the classes I am taking right now are the general education classes prepping me for the photography classes coming up(and its not what you think, there is writing, editing, MLA citations, all that stuff in the classes coming up). I asked for info on these to assist in writing the final paper, that way my research is spot on with what the paper is written about.

Date: 03/01/12 14:45
Author: raytc1944

This is wonderful news! Its great that NS remembers its heritage. I believe this is
all Wick Moorman's doing. I've met him and he is a fine gentleman and is doing a
good job at the helm of NS.

Date: 03/02/12 06:33
Re: NS/UP Heritage paper
Author: LV95032

The actual paint diagrams for the locomotive will not be from Andy Fletcher's sketches but actually have (or will) be drawn by a professional designer using various information which NS's engineering department in Atlanta has been accumulating over the past several weeks. Expect to see some variation in details from Fletcher's sketches. As being part of the effort I know that NS has worked with several different Railroad Historical Societies to get the most accurate information possible regarding paint color matches and various design drawings. They also obtained many original paint design drawings from EMD.
How the actual final list was arrived at would be interesting to find learn - did Wick have the final approval?
I know a couple considerations were how much a part of the current NS is and given railroads and some consideration was given to color. Note with the exception of NKP they stayed away from some black (or near black) designs.

N&W blue instead of black
Erie two tone green instead of black
DL&W maroon, gray, yellow instead of black
PRR tuscan instead of brunswick green

RWJ

Bath_wildcat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the final paper in my Composition and English
> class, I have to write about the Norfolk Southern
> hertiage locomotives, and the Union Pacific
> hertiage locomotives. The propsal for the paper
> is below, so any and all info to help with this
> would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for
> rude or cruel comments, just the information to
> develop this paper into one that could be
> published. At this time, I DO NOT need any
> negative comments, so please refrain from those,
> and I will be contacting Andy Fletcher, as NS is
> using his artwork for the hertiage schemes.
>
> Proposal
>
> Problem: Deciding which predecessor railroads to
> honor for Norfolk Southern 30th Anniversary, and
> what paint schemes the locomotives will wear.
>
> Solution: Reducing down the number of predecessor
> railroads to a manageable number, and contracting
> an artist to come up with renditions of the paint
> schemes.
>
> Idea 1: Deciding on honoring the predecessor
> railroads of Norfolk Southern with a heritage
> fleet.
>
> Idea 2: What does it take to make this happen,
> while keeping it under wraps from the public.
>
> Idea 3: Compare and contrast Union Pacific’s
> heritage program from 2005 to the Norfolk Southern
> heritage program today.
>
> Idea 4: Finalizing the paint schemes of the
> heritage fleet, while deciding on what locomotive
> would be best fitted for the paint schemes chosen
> to represent Norfolk Southern heritage.
>
> Possible Sources:
> Norfolk Southern, www.nscorp.com, copyright 2012
> Trainorders, www.trainorders.com, copyright 2012
> Todd Clark, Canyon Country, California
> Railroad Forums.com www.railroadforums.com
> Copyright 2012, Bob Harbison
> Union Pacific, www.up.com Copyright 2012
>
> Working Thesis Statement:
> Consider two class one railroads deciding to honor
> their heritage with paint schemes derived from the
> predecessor railroads. What would it take to get
> a program like this running, and what, and if, how
> many locomotives would wear the paint schemes to
> honor those railroads? In light of Norfolk
> Southern’s decision to honor its own past, Union
> Pacific honored their past with six different
> locomotives, while NS is honoring 18 of its past
> railroads that make up Norfolk Southern today. We
> will take a look at both the Union Pacific
> heritage locomotives, and Norfolk Southern
> heritage locomotives, while comparing and
> contrasting the similarities and difference these
> railroads have between each other.

Date: 03/03/12 14:46
Author: moltensulphur

Geez, OOS you really tore into this guy re. his spelling. Hmmm, let's see now, you didn't capitalize the i in the first word of your post, you could've used a comma between use and refuse in your second line, and then you upped and didn't even use a period at the end of your rant. How about taking some classes in punctuation, eh? Boy, talk about Off Topic - you and I take the cake!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0738 seconds