Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX New Castle Sub Crossovers

Date: 02/22/01 21:45
CSX New Castle Sub Crossovers
Author: Diddle_E._Squat

Looking at a CSX timetable of the New Castle sub, it shows a severe scarcity of crossovers between Boyd(mp192.5) and the New Castle Terminal limits(mp58.4). All I see is single track Warwick(mp143.8) to Lambert(mp134.7), a set at Newton Falls(mp95.9), and a single crossover wb from 1 to 2 at either Youngstown(mp76.4) or Yanda(mp77.7)(hard to tell by the timetable layout). Given the notorious inaccuracies of CSX timetables, I wonder if there are more than what is shown. That is a lot of long stretches of effectively single-track if a train breaks down.

Are there any more dispatcher controlled crossovers?

Date: 02/22/01 21:56
While we are at it...
Author: Diddle_E._Squat

... is there a crossover at the east end of the New Castle Terminal Sub, say around mp54? All I see is the one at mp58.4.

Date: 02/23/01 05:56
RE: CSX New Castle Sub Crossovers
Author: RobR

Diddle E.,

I can't answer your question, but I can suggest where you can find answers: csxnewcastlesub@yahoogroups.com. I'm sure you can get help there.

Rob (who inherited moderation of that list, even though he knows next to nothing about the territory)

Date: 02/23/01 17:18
Author: baltimore

Some crossovers that come to mind, most if not all are single:

Powered
BD @ Evans Ave Akron
AY @ Arlington St Akron
Sterling

Hand Throws
Broad Blvd Cuyahoga Falls
Ravenna
Kent

Unknown Type
Newton Falls

Date: 02/23/01 18:44
Author: M.Schwiebert

That would be typical for the old B&O territory. The B&O (at least west of Willard) tended to operate their double track as a single track in each direction. Most towns had a siding off of each track for making meets/overtakes. Crossovers existed in towns for locals to use when working that town. Running wrong main was a relatively uncommon occurance. The inflexibility of the "D-251" territory and decrease in traffic in the late '60's-70's led to replacement of much of the double track ABS with alternating sections of single & double track TCS. (which of course is now all double track TCS to handle the post Conrail traffic).
Even with power crossovers in D-251 territory, it was difficult to find instances where running the "wrong main" were advantageous. When doing so, the speed limit is 49mph. etc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds