Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Norfolk Southern App - Tracking Locomotives

Date: 06/29/12 15:57
Norfolk Southern App - Tracking Locomotives
Author: bigjim4life

I just downloaded the newest update for the Norfolk Southern app...included in the update are features on each Heritage locomotive, an ability to "Report Sighting" (in conjunction with the gps in your phone) and see where each engine has been as well. So now, all railfans that have this app can report where each engine has been spotted...great stuff!

Date: 06/29/12 16:44
Re: Norfolk Southern App - Tracking Locomotives
Author: DeutzHDL

There's an app for that!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/29/12 17:49
Author: CCMF

Not secured ?

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 06/29/12 18:09
Author: nanshant

I don't think the app uses the NS mainframe to tell you where it is. It appears to rely on user sightings.

Date: 06/29/12 18:39
Author: tatieface

You are correct. It relies on user sightings but it is cool and more than we had before!

Date: 06/29/12 19:35
Author: MDH

CCMF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not secured ?

I downloaded & played with it and so far it looks like it'll do a better job tracking where the foamers are than where the heritage units are. It seems to require access to your phone's GPS to get into the tracking part which is all user sighting generated. In fairness though, if enough users actually use it then it could become quite useful but probably no more so than current "internet reports" since again, it relies on fan reports. It also encourages you to join a "support the line" list, etc. The interface is pretty slick and the photo galleries are nice though.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1728 seconds