Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Amtrak 40 w/Foreign Power

Date: 03/06/01 10:58
Amtrak 40 w/Foreign Power
Author: BurghMan

Amtrak's eastbound Three Rivers had an interesting consist today. Train No. 40 arrived in New Castle, PA with CSXT 7390 (ex-CR CW40-8 in CSX paint) on the point. After heading down the NS Youngstown Line, the train stopped for a half hour at East Conway to pick up a "Cab Signal" unit. PRR (CR Paint) B40-8 4811 was placed on the point. The train ran east down the Ft. Wayne Line with PRR 4811, CSXT 7390, Amtrak 7, and Amtrak 89. It arrived at the Pittsburgh Station at 2:00 PM and the CSXT 7390 was to be set off on No. 4 Track before heading east over the Pittsburgh Line.

Date: 03/06/01 11:50
RE: Amtrak 40 w/Foreign Power
Author: RobR

Greetings!

A skimpy report on another list I'm on reported that it limped into Akron with both engines dead (!). Power had to be brought over from a little yard nearby.

I'd have enjoyed seeing that, but I'd have hated to be on it!

Rob

Date: 03/06/01 14:23
Author: CRsmurf

Hello,

Amtrak 40 (NS symbol 04T) finally passed Johnstown,Pa. at 5:00pm.
Just a litttle bit late!!!!! HaHa!!!! PRR B40-8 4811 was still
leading, and it did not have the CSX unit. So they must have set
it out in Pittsburgh.

Tony K, CRsmurf

Date: 03/06/01 15:07
Author: BurghMan

They did set the CSX unit off in Pittburgh, it just took them an hour to do it! Funny thing is, that CSX unit was a former Conrail unit so I'm sure it had cab signals anyways!

Date: 03/06/01 15:25
Author: Freddy

04T ran into more problems near Milepost 332 when it tripped the DED. I guess it just wasn't their day.

Freddy

Date: 03/07/01 07:11
Author: RobR

A report from a rabid railfan who works at the Amtrak station in Akron, OH:

Amtrak 40 (Eastbound Three Rivers)
arrived in Akron at 06:09 this morning, coasting all the way
2 P42-9's (7 & 8x) on the point, both not loading.
30 cars in the consist.
The crew called (Amtrak)operations and they told them to head east as far as the could, which was about 200 yards before they stopped again.
They then callet the (CSX)AT dispactcher and got permission
to reverse back to the platform.
2 of the onboard crew came into the Amshack, called Operations, and the station at Cleveland to find out about busses. They were to send 2 busses and 2 reps from cleveland.
Meanwhile (as the platform is shoveled for the 3rd time)
The headend crew called the Dispatcher back to let him know what was going on,
He got Q136 to cut off his power at lambert so they could run light up to BD and back the trailing unit (CSXT 7390)
onto P040. After all this, operations was called back
and they said if they had power GO!!, so about
09:30 the air test was done and they took off, with 7390 in the lead. Not sure if they were going to keep 7390 all the way in or not, but they said they'd never make Pittsburgh if they stopped and swapped in Conway.

What a mess. the train had about 80 passengers.
(All who got free food from the dinette!)

Thats about it.

Steve.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds