Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Chicago trip 3/31 and 4/1...W.C.RR photo location

Date: 03/17/01 09:20
Chicago trip 3/31 and 4/1...W.C.RR photo location
Author: ZWSPLAC

To all here -

Going to be in Chi-Town above dates. Want to shoot the Wisconsin Central, in a scenic area, which rules out the yard limits at Schiller Park. Seem to recall from childhood days the area around Fox Lake looked nice, but I may have my lakes mixed up. What kind of traffic density might I encounter? Predominent traffic direction?
Any maps you would recommend? And how about radio freq's? One last question, and I don't believe they do, but does METRA run on their line? Any other pertinent suggestions?

BTW, if anybody needs info for So.Cal. trips, contact me on TO mail.

Thanks for your help, everything is appreciated....

Bob F.
ZWSPLAC

Date: 03/17/01 10:24
RE: ..W.C.RR photo location
Author: MEKoch

You might try Wheeling, IL. It has Metra service.

Also in Des Plaines, IL is the crossing of the WC, UP Northwest line and the UP freight bypass (CP uses this also). It is a big triangle shaped affair with some decent photo angles and a tower.

Date: 03/17/01 22:13
RE: Chicago trip 3/31 and 4/1...W.C.RR photo location
Author: peddler

Here Metra's schedule info with maps. Hope this helps.

http://www.metrarail.com/schedule.html

peddler

Date: 03/18/01 08:41
Author: kevink

You're thinking of Round Lake. Fox Lake is on the old Milw Janesville line. Metra trains currently run a limited weekday schedule and not at all on weekends. Round Lake is a good spot but scenery is a relative word. IIRC, there's a ComEd electric transmission line along the tracks at Round Lake.

I have not checked Deval Tower in some time so I can't tell you if the UP will let you sit there.

If you like new track contruction, the south end of Wheeling Siding is being extended two miles or so south to Central Road. They've removed the underbrush back to the right-of-way line as part of the construction so this might not be a bad choice.

For scenery, you might want to jump across the border and check out the area of Campus Lake.

IIRC, the WC uses AAR Channel 79 (161.295)

Date: 03/18/01 10:38
Author: TimV

If you have time, check the area around Burlington, Wisconsin, about an hour or so north of Chicago just over the border. I don't like shooting the WC around here because it of the power lines that follow the route across much of Illinois. There are better shots to be had the further north you go in my opinion.
TimV

Date: 03/18/01 15:13
Author: ZWSPLAC

To all who responded-

Thank you very much for the useful info. I think I will drive up to the Burlington area; it looks good on the map, on the "Unofficial" WC National Website. If you ever need info on California Railroading, drop me a line, and I'll see what I can do.

Take care, and be safe,

Bob F.
ZWSPLAC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds