Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wilmington NC info

Date: 08/17/12 09:09
Wilmington NC info
Author: mully

We are planning on a day trip to Wilmington tomorrow. Never been there before are there any rail operations in the area?

Thanks
Gary

Date: 08/17/12 09:31
Re: Wilmington NC info
Author: Lackawanna484

The Wilmington Ports had a switching operation that was visible from the public streets in the area a few years ago. I don't know if that's still the case.

The map shows that area south of the city proper, along Shipyard Blvd / US117 / Burnett Blvd. No idea of the security situation in the area.

Date: 08/17/12 10:40
Author: radioman2

I go to Wilmington a lot, in fact I'm here today. CSXT has a yard at Leland, NC very close to Wilmington. It is called Navassa yard,I have not been to the yard in several years. The other place to go is Riegelwood,NC where there is a paper mill. River road in Wilmington is where you will see the port rr at.

Have most traffic, but it is slim.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/17/12 10:44

There may be other places to go that others go that live in Wilmington. I live in the middle of the state, these are the places I know.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/17/12 11:30

radioman2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I go to Wilmington a lot, in fact I'm here today.
> CSXT has a yard at Leland, NC very close to
> Wilmington. It is called Navassa yard,I have not
> been to the yard in several years. The other place
> to go is Riegelwood,NC where there is a paper
> mill. River road in Wilmington is where you will
> see the port rr at.
>
> 161.100
> 161.520
> 160.320
> Have most traffic, but it is slim.
>
> Posted from Android
I also have 160.590 in my XTS5000.

Date: 08/17/12 11:30
Author: Bath_wildcat

I was there a few years ago to see an old friend I served with in the Army. There really wasnt much there in terms of rail action, exept me getting lucky catching CSX 454 down there. I know of a stone plant down there, as thats where 454 was sitting. Other than that, thats abotu it

Posted from Opera Mini

Date: 08/17/12 18:01

That rock place is beside hwy 74,before you get to Leland. There were 2 AC4400 or GEVO's when I went by about 10:30 pm last night.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/17/12 18:18
Author: emd_run8

A day trip to Wilmington is not enough. It might take a day to catch a train. If you have to do one thing, go to the railroad museum where the old station used to be. It is neat, the trains used to go down to the river there. The museum is a must, in my opinion. It is in an old freight house since all the great HQ buildings are gone.
There are some old butt heads along the river industries, but I recommend the museum.
Tommy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds