Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > About The Runaway

Date: 05/15/01 16:14
About The Runaway
Author: elchapman

The runaway train wasn't under power. If the brakes weren't applied, the profile of the tracks would allow gravity to start moving it without giving it any throttle. So why in the world would you shoot out a fuel tank.

Lee

Date: 05/15/01 16:35
RE: About The Runaway
Author: Z

Number one, the train WAS under power. But as far as shooting out the fuel tank; Pure Idiocy at its best. First, with a nearly full tank, it would take a long distance to run out of fuel with a single
or a few bullett holes. Second, the resulting mess of fuel spilled
into the environment would be a disaster. The only thing this would
have accomplished is eventually shutting down the engine. Even if
the throttle were not open, a dead engine cannot run the compressor.
Therefor, the air pressure woul drop and the brakes would apply.
I doubt the cop understood that, but thats another story.

Date: 05/15/01 18:02
Author: CurtisSmith

I would think if you are going to use a gun to stop a runaway, your best bet would be to use a shotgun and go for the airhoses. Shoot an airhose in two and you will get an immediate brake application. Of course at 46MPH this would be pure luck if you did hit one but it would be much better than firing a shot or two into the fuel tank. Whoever that railroad bull was didn't know a whole lot about railroading.

Bryan in Bama

Date: 05/15/01 19:00
Author: ExceptedTRAK

Right on about the Cops! However, despite brakes and air issues in the yard. Where was the yardmaster and more importantly the crew!

Date: 05/15/01 20:41
Author: ts1457

CurtisSmith wrote:
>
> I would think if you are going to use a gun to stop a runaway,
> your best bet would be to use a shotgun and go for the
> airhoses. Shoot an airhose in two and you will get an
> immediate brake application....

You're right about that one. I've seen a train stopped that way during a work stoppage.

But was the air brake system charged on the runaway or was it a cut of cars from the yard being switched without air?

Date: 05/16/01 00:57
Author: CSX_CO

He was aiming for the Emergency Fuel Cut-off switch on the side.

1st. Proplem is with the switch...it has to be held in, UNTIL the engine dies...not just pushed once and let go.

2nd. The officer prolly would have just detroyed the switch...and not really had the intended effect.

3rd. Before y'all critize his efforts, consider the situation. Little knowledge about the train itself, coupled to the serious of the situation, lends itself to people doing anything they know of to try and stop it.

So...sit on your hands before you critize what happened, and get all the facts straight. At the time...that appeared as an intelligent and possible way of stopping the train...albiet with only a small chance of success.

Practice Safe CSX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds