Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Snow no show....almost

Date: 11/07/12 08:47
Snow no show....almost
Author: cinder

Fans have asked about "Sandy's" snowstorm on Sand Patch. At the top of the tunnel on PA 160, probably 15-18 inches of heavy wet snow fell....see pictures 1&2 taken five days after the storm. But drop down a couple of hundred feet to Mance on the east slope and the snowfall was very light....picture 3.

Date: 11/07/12 13:41
Re: Snow no show....almost
Author: jmbreitigan

What a difference some altitude makes.
John

Date: 11/07/12 14:27
Author: ddavies

What about the same altitude on the west slope? I thought the snow was coming from the north/west, and would dump most of the other side of the mountain..

Date: 11/07/12 14:47
Author: cinder

Good question Dave, but the answer is the same. Very little snow in Glade City and Meyersdale.

Date: 11/07/12 18:25
Author: ljs252

I believe the hardest hit area along CSXT in the Alleghenies was along the Mountain Sub. The Terra Alta, WV area got around 2 feet of snow with significant damage from downed power lines and trees. I do not know how heavily CSX's operations were impacted. I can't imagine it was a piece of cake running coal trains up cranberry grade in that weather.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0274 seconds