Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Welcome Back CSX Indiana Subdivision

Date: 11/11/12 23:01
Welcome Back CSX Indiana Subdivision
Author: K8DTI

The CSX Indiana Subdivision, formerly the B&O west of Cincinnati, has recently been subject to long overdue trackwork and now traffic is beginning to return after a multiyear hiatus. Most of the work is between Cincinnati and Seymour, Indiana where the line connects with the Louisville & Indiana Railroad (LIRC). The railroad is in the best shape it has been in years with tens of thousands of new ties and fresh ballast. Regular traffic returned two weeks ago with CSX Q268 running north from Louisville on the LIRC to Seymour, then west on the B&O to Cincinnati. More is allegedly on the way. Yesterday I drove out to North Vernon, Indiana and chased Q268 east to Cincinnati. Attached are a few photos. If you wish to visit, currently Q268 is the only road train and it is usually called at Louisville between 4am and 6am. It is about a 2 to 3 hour trip north on the LIRC to Seymour. Radio frequencies on CSX are 160.230 for the road / signal calling and 160.320 for the CSX LB train dispatcher in Cincinnati.

First we see Q268 at the west end of Butlerville, Indiana siding. Second we see Q268 passing MI Tower in Milan, Indiana. Last, we see the train at what was the west end of Osgood, Indiana siding, now just a set out track. These photos were taken on November 11, 2012.

Enjoy and thanks for looking!

Date: 11/11/12 23:07
Re: Welcome Back CSX Indiana Subdivision

A few more shots. First we see Q268 just east of Osgood, Indiana from County Road 25E. Second we see the train at the east end of Delhi siding, 9 miles west of Cincinnati. Third, we see the train a mere one and a half miles from Storrs and the entry to Queensgate Yard in Cincinnati.

Date: 11/12/12 00:18
Author: cashfare

Beautiful photos! Thanks for taking the time to share. I have spent many hours railfanning this line with my Dad in the early and mid 90's when it still had a good bit of traffic on it. Great to see the track fixed up and the CPL's, God's chosen signal, alive and well. Is the plan to start directional running between Cincinnati and Louisville?

Date: 11/12/12 03:23
Author: agrafton

Fantastic series with all the CPL's and telephone poles. Can't believe the poles are still standing.
I like the poles they lend hint of a by gone era. Well done

Date: 11/12/12 04:08
Author: howeld

With such light traffic would the line be subject to PTC rules? Perhaps the CPLS will have a longer life than the ones left on the Toledo Sub.

Date: 11/12/12 06:11
Author: NSDTK

Hazmat = PTC

Posted from Android

Date: 11/12/12 07:37
Author: CGTower

Just depends on what CSX wants to do...the line is technically not a CTC line, its DTC with signals. I am sure CSX's focus will be on the Indianapolis Sub with Amtrak as they've focused their efforts on the line beween Cincy and Hamilton at present.

CG

howeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With such light traffic would the line be subject
> to PTC rules? Perhaps the CPLS will have a longer
> life than the ones left on the Toledo Sub.

Date: 11/12/12 07:50
Author: farmer

Every where will have ptc some day.

Date: 11/12/12 07:56
Author: pafan

CSX has been running trains on the L&I/Indiana Sub for several years now. Those were usually southbounds, but that seems to have changed.

Date: 11/12/12 08:30
Author: PatternOfFailure

NSDTK Wrote:
> Hazmat = PTC

Inhalation Hazmat, not all Hazmat.

Date: 11/12/12 08:32
Author: cutboy2

Great news. A mountain type rr just 25 miles west of Cincinnati!!

Date: 11/12/12 09:11
Author: scraphauler

pafan Wrote:
> CSX has been running trains on the L&I/Indiana Sub
> for several years now. Those were usually
> southbounds, but that seems to have changed.

Q573 was the "regular" on the Indiana Sub to LIRC, running that way about 3/4 of the time or so. Train was "permanently" rerouted back to the LCL sub at the end of June. Q511 and Q229 where also "semi-regulars" seeming to run once or twice a month via the Indiana Sub when there were issues on the LCL. Line's primary purpose over the past decade or so has been as a detour route between Cincinnati and Louisville (via LIRC) and has suffered through several extended periods of inactivity.

After CSXT officially month-balled the Hoosier Sub (ex Monon) J780, the Indiana Sub local that works between North Vernon, Seymour, Mitchel, and Loogootee was often on an island, never interacting with another CSXT train. It's connection to the outside world was and remains the LIRC - LIRC bridges the J780 traffic between Louisville and Seymour. This remains unchanged with Q268's rerouting via the Indiana Sub (effective 10/29).

Talk is that once the LIRC makes a few improvements (funded by CSXT) and re-establishes 24hr coverage for the draw bridge in Louisville, "several" more Cincinnati bound trains will be "permanently" rerouted via the LIRC/Indiana Sub - hearing as few as 2 more, as many as 7 more. Also, sounding like a new Cincinnati to North Vernon or possibly Washington IN turn will be established to feed cars to the J787/J788 at Trautman OH, CMPA interchange at North Vernon, the J780 at North Vernon, and possibly J700 in Washington IN.

Current traffic on the sub sees only the Q268 (and an occasion G series empty) using the line between Seymour and Cincinnati. A Queensgate based yard job serves industries along the Ohio River between CP Oklahoma and CW Cabin, J787/J788 based at Trautman Yard serve local industries between CW Cabin and Aurora IN, no local service (only the Q268 and occasion extras) between Aurora and North Vernon, the aforementioned J780 between North Vernon and Loogootee, NO scheduled/regular service between Loogootee and Washington IN, and Vincenness based J700 between Washington and Vinceness. The continuing Illinois Sub west of Vencenness host several Louisville/St Louis trains which come across the Texas Sub from Louisville to Henderson KY, then up to Vincennes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/12 09:13 by scraphauler.

Date: 11/12/12 11:40
Author: CSXT_8437

Any plans for traffic to be routed Cincinnati to St. Louis via the Indiana Sub? I am hoping the portion through Washington, IN will see through traffic again.

Thank you in advance.

Date: 11/12/12 12:04
Author: DJ-12

Very nice and thank you for sharing. Is it me, or does the size/shape of the font of the "C" in the logo on the nose of lead unit look "off" for some reason?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/12 12:04 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 11/12/12 12:23
Author: scraphauler

CSXT_8437 Wrote:
> Any plans for traffic to be routed Cincinnati to
> St. Louis via the Indiana Sub? I am hoping the
> portion through Washington, IN will see through
> traffic again.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Nothing in the immediate future that I've heard of. What St Louis traffic there is that originates or terminates in the Cincinnati area is easily handled on the Q361/Q361 Avon-Queensgate train via the Indianapolis Sub (ex B&O Hamilton OH to Indianapolis line, route of the Cardinal). CSXT's St Louis gateway traffic off the northern half of their system moves via the former Conrail route via Avon yard, while traffic from the southern half of the system runs via Louisville. Cincinnati is odd man out and has been since CSXT took over the Conrail route to St Louis which is a good part of the reason the Indiana Sub fell on such hard times.

Rumors of "new" traffic appearing a year or two down the road still abound, but those have been talked about since I started in the RR game back in 1991.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/12 12:24 by scraphauler.

Date: 11/12/12 14:53

A few of the 9000's are like that. The logo is a bit "squooshed".

Posted from Android

Date: 11/12/12 20:32
Author: Alexmarissa

Great to hear the good news about the Indiana Sub. Please keep the news and the photos coming!

Date: 11/13/12 17:37
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds