Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lookout Mountain Tunnel???

Date: 05/20/01 18:08
Lookout Mountain Tunnel???
Author: JWR123

Today I was looking at some topo maps of Chattanooga and from what I could make out, there looks to be a tunnel if not two, passing through the very base of Lookout Mountain (around the point) between I24 and Lookout Mountain. The map labeled it as "Lookout Mountain Tunnel". I am guessing that there are two tunnels here where CSX and NS both squeeze in the limited space between the mountain, I24 and the Tennesee River. Can anyone confirm these tunnels? If so can you give me any good info on them?? As far as construction dates, lengths, owners, etc.

Thanks for any info.

Best Regards,
Jim

Date: 05/20/01 18:43
RE: Lookout Mountain Tunnel???
Author: S291

NS goes thru the mountain, I think it used to be double track but now its only single, but its double on both sides of the tunnel. CSX goes around the base of the mountain. theres a lil gravel access road on the east/south side of the tunnel that goes down to the signals, then you can shoot a photo of a north/eastbound train coming out of the tunnel.
Casey

Date: 05/20/01 22:57
RE: Lookout Mountain Tunnel???
Author: ags

Yeah the NS trains to ans from Birmingham,and Memphis go through the tunnel.
It is the AGS to Birmingham,and the predessor Memphis & Charleston RR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0285 seconds