Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > More than 100 rifles stolen from Atlanta train car

Date: 11/30/12 14:49
More than 100 rifles stolen from Atlanta train car
Author: Out_Of_Service

excerpt from story:

"The weapons include assault rifles that Coes described as "AK-style." He declined to discuss other aspects of the case."

full story here:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/100-rifles-stolen-atlanta-train-car-17844589

Date: 11/30/12 15:00
Re: More than 100 rifles stolen from Atlanta train car
Author: icancmp193

Viva la Revolucion!

Tom Y

Date: 11/30/12 15:01
Author: hartrick24

That"s just what we need here in Atl. The local news said 125,gee i guess Atl. is going to have its crime rate go up!!!!!!

Date: 11/30/12 15:09
Author: garr

With this happening in Tilford which is not an intermodal yard makes me think these guns were in a standard box car. If that is the case, I wonder how many guns a boxcar can hold? I know box cars carry a lot of different commodities, but in today's market it seems that a container or trailer would be the likely mode of carriage for guns.

Jay

Date: 11/30/12 15:17
Author: NSClevelandLine

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> excerpt from story:
>
> "The weapons include assault rifles that Coes
> described as "AK-style." He declined to discuss
> other aspects of the case."

>
> full story here:
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/100-rifles-stol
> en-atlanta-train-car-17844589

Why does this scream inside job to me? Nobody just opens up a random boxcar out of how ever many there are and magically its filled with AK-47's...

Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/12 15:24
Author: garr

NSClevelandLine Wrote:
> Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > excerpt from story:
> >
> > "The weapons include assault rifles that Coes
> > described as "AK-style." He declined to discuss
> > other aspects of the case."
>
>
>
>
> >
> > full story here:
> >
> >
> http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/100-rifles-stol
>
> > en-atlanta-train-car-17844589
>
> Why does this scream inside job to me? Nobody just
> opens up a random boxcar out of how ever many
> there are and magically its filled with AK-47's...
>
>
> Posted from Android

I thought the same thing but who knows, it might be the blind squirrel finding a nut scenario.

Jay

Date: 11/30/12 15:30
Author: toledopatch

garr Wrote:
> NSClevelandLine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Why does this scream inside job to me? Nobody
> just
> > opens up a random boxcar out of how ever many
> > there are and magically its filled with
> AK-47's...
> >
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> I thought the same thing but who knows, it might
> be the blind squirrel finding a nut scenario.

Smart squirrels generally aren't looking for nuts in boxcars, unless they're insulated boxcars full of liquor. Trailers and containers are hit much more frequently.

Date: 11/30/12 16:49
Author: john1082

Why were firearms in the boxcar to begin with? It wasn't LCL freight because that just isn't done anymore. Firearms in a boxcar all by themselves in a freight yard? A boxcar holds perhaps 120,000 pounds or more and yet 100 (or 125) rifles would weigh perhaps a mere 1,250 pounds. Again, why a boxcar for these items? Were the firearms really ever really in the car? A staged insurance theft perhaps?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 11/30/12 17:06

john1082 Wrote:
> Why were firearms in the boxcar to begin with? It
> wasn't LCL freight because that just isn't done
> anymore. Firearms in a boxcar all by themselves
> in a freight yard? A boxcar holds perhaps 120,000
> pounds or more and yet 100 (or 125) rifles would
> weigh perhaps a mere 1,250 pounds. Again, why a
> boxcar for these items? Were the firearms really
> ever really in the car? A staged insurance theft
> perhaps?

it wasn't determined that ALL of the cargo in the boxcar was lifted ... just the number that had been

Date: 11/30/12 17:35
Author: Lackawanna484

I'd expect to see new rules from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms about shipping protocols for substantial numbers of weapons. This is a pretty substantial heist.

Date: 11/30/12 17:58
Author: bnsf

hartrick24 Wrote:
> That"s just what we need here in Atl. The local
> news said 125,gee i guess Atl. is going to have
> its crime rate go up!!!!!!

Is it possible for the crime rate to go higher in Atlanta?

Date: 11/30/12 19:20
Author: hartrick24

Yor are right, it's already high.Set to go alot higher..

Date: 11/30/12 19:42
Author: Gonut1

I'm thinking the "Conrail Boys" have completed their sentences in New Jersey and have reformed as the "NS Boys" in the Sunny South.
Gonut

Date: 11/30/12 19:57

Gonut1 Wrote:
> I'm thinking the "Conrail Boys" have completed
> their sentences in New Jersey and have reformed as
> the "NS Boys" in the Sunny South.
> Gonut

hey G i saw a documentary on the Conrail boys of Newark,NJ ... very brazen bunch of theives

Date: 11/30/12 20:46
Author: junctiontower

The term "Assault Rifle" is one of the most incorrectly used and politically loaded terms in modern society. To most people that don't know better, and a lot who SHOULD know better, "assault rifle" and "AK style" conger up images of "Platoon" and "Full Metal Jacket" style fire fights with fully automatic fire capable military weapons. In truth, these are most likely basic hunting rifles that while they may LOOK like military style weapons, are hardly more scary that Dad's old 30-06 bolt action deer rifle. I'm always concerned that when stories like this come out that by accident or by purpose, people are led to overreact or make rash assumptions about legal firearms. It IS however very disturbing that some or all of these rifles might end up in the hands of dangerous criminals. Let's hope that if they are not recovered, that somebodyy merely stole them to sell to hunters or other gun enthusiasts. I wonder about this story though. I'm just not seeing rifles being shipped in a boxcar in 2012.

Date: 11/30/12 22:41
Author: wa4umr

The military ships things in ordinary box cars from time to time. I was south of Osborn Yard about a year ago when a SA rolled up and parked next to me. I thought I was going to have a bad encounter but he said I was OK where I was and he was there to check the seal of 2 boxcars as they came into the yard. He said they were full of military ammo. I worked for the phone company and occasionally some of our guys would take a shortcut through Osborn Yard. A friend in his company truck got stopped by the SA and ask where he was going. My friend explained that he was taking the shortcut. Usually CSX doesn't have a problem with it if you're in a company truck but this time he told my friend he might want to turn around today and go the long way. They had a train with Stinger Missiles on it that was going through the yard that day.

And yes, the terms Assault Rifle, AK-47 are highly misused. I guess it makes things more sensational. How many people reading the newspaper would be impressed if it said they were Anschutz 2013 ($4000 single shot .22 cal target rifle) or a Kimber 84?

John

Date: 12/01/12 00:03
Author: DPKrause

Where were the railroad police/security staff when this went down? Busy harrassing railfans?

Date: 12/01/12 08:52
Author: SCL1517

DPKrause Wrote:
> Where were the railroad police/security staff when
> this went down? Busy harrassing railfans?

That's a worn diatribe, but it DOES beg the question. Ya gotta know they pick the low hanging fruit; if ya gotta fill an activity report, the instinct of self preservation says to go after twenty somethings and middle aged folks with cameras rather than ruffians with spray paint, bolt cutters and goodness knows what else. This will doubtless make the railfanning situation in Atlanta even worse; good thing CSX is so darn boring these days.

Date: 12/01/12 09:10
Author: MarkMeoff

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> I'd expect to see new rules from the Bureau of
> Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms about shipping
> protocols for substantial numbers of weapons.
> This is a pretty substantial heist.

Pfffft!!! That's nothing. The US gooberment allowed waaaaaaaay more than that to end up in the hands of Mexican cartels south of the border.

I too think this was an inside job but not by any RR employee. Someone from the shipper or intended customer knew what and where to go.

Date: 12/01/12 10:51
Author: Lackawanna484

Conrail used to be very attentive to things like shipments of Jaguars and Volkswagens moving through the Hoboken "war zone" in the 1980s. Police would pace the train, and they even had a caboose for a while that was slotted behind the open auto racks, way back when.

I remember a conversation over the radio in the Middlesex County NJ area. Back in the days of old Conrail.

Police DS: Lieutenant, we have a report of kids climbing on a tank car of haz mat, on the siding by X. Could you have somebody keep an eye on it until the local picks it up around 4pm?

Lt: Nope. I don't have anybody available.

DS: OK

(Decent Interval)

DS: Sir, um. Captain says, sir, begging your pardon sir, that if you don't have anyone available, you should go and keep an eye on that car yourself, sir. Please confirm, sir, that's what you'll do.

Lt: I'll call the captain...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0858 seconds