Home Open Account Help 179 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Snow along the C&O (Snow in Richmond pt. 1)

Date: 12/14/12 08:13
Snow along the C&O (Snow in Richmond pt. 1)
Author: inCHI

Two years ago I moved to Chicago, which just broke it's record for longest number of consecutive days without snow. Through December it looks like only rain is in the forecast. For irony, I started to look through photos of snow in the last place I lived, Richmond, VA. I'm going to post three sets of pictures: first along the ex-C&O, then the ex-SAL/ACL, and finally, NS.

In Richmond for a time I had a great apartment that overlooked Rivanna Junction on the ex-C&O Rivanna/Peninsula Subs just west of Fulton Yard. I could railfan in all weather simply by looking out the window, as shown in pic 1, where a coal train to Wheelwright, VA, is waiting for a signal at Rivanna Junction to head briefly north, then reverse south on the Bellwood Sub.

2. In this case, I decided to step outside for another view.

3. On another day, an Amtrak train from Newport News waits for its eastbound counterpart to clear Rivanna Junction.

Date: 12/14/12 08:18
Re: Snow along the C&O (Snow in Richmond pt. 1)

4. At sunrise an grain train ultimately head south via AY on the North End sub waits for pushers in Fulton Yard to attach for it's run up the steep, short, Bellwood Sub grade to AY.

5. A westbound empty prepares to turn at Rivanna Junction to take the Buckingham Branch railroad west.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/12 09:43 by inRVA.

Date: 12/14/12 08:22

6. Another eastbound coal train throttles up to get it's massive train at enough speed to make it over the grade in/east of Fulton Yard without pushers. In this case the sound of loaded coal at 30 mph both makes a racket and causes snow to cascade off of the viaduct.

7. Coal heads east over NS's line to West Point as fresh snow falls.

8. Snow falls at night as a turn from Fulton Yard waits at Rivanna Junction for the light now that an eastbound Amtrak has cleared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/12 09:43 by inRVA.

Date: 12/14/12 08:24

9 + 10: From the apartment I catch an grain train to head south and a coal train coming into Fulton Yard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/12 09:44 by inRVA.

Date: 12/14/12 08:28

11. On an icy afternoon 6 GE's lug a double-sized grain train east into Fulton Yard.

12. In more blizzard like conditions I catch a grain train waiting for the light at Rivanna Junction.

13. An overview of Fulton Yard, where snow has slowed operations and several trains wait to head west and south. This was several years ago; note the B-boat on the point of some power.

Date: 12/14/12 08:30
Author: ClubCar

Very nice photos; thanks for sharing them with us and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Date: 12/14/12 08:31

14. Looking east at downtown Richmond from Hollywood Cemetary, Q303 is departing Richmond headed waist, while a loaded coal train waits for a crew.

15. Q303 squells along the sharp curves of the Rivanna Sub, which mimick the turns in the James River.

16. On a snowier day a coal train waits for a recrew at DX

Date: 12/14/12 08:33

17. And lastly, having an apartment view allowed me to catch more unusual moves if I was quick enough. In low light a Conrail GE on Q302 is about to head up to Acca Yard

18. A short business or inspection train heads to Fulton

19. I almost missed this DODX load from tidewater heading to Acca Yard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/12 09:45 by inRVA.

Date: 12/14/12 08:53
Author: electromac

Outstanding! Coal trains and snow perfect together...........

Date: 12/14/12 09:35
Author: CJ

Nice photos!

Date: 12/14/12 12:45
Author: cs

Good stuff!

Chris Hamby
Richmond, VA

Date: 12/14/12 15:15
Author: jmbreitigan

Awesome what you were able to catch close to your apartment. Very nice photos, especially the ones with snow.
John

Date: 12/14/12 15:43
Author: ACL545

My office was directly below the top floor in the "Pump House" in picture 14 at James River Corp. I was not an avid CSX fan in those days but got in some really great fanning from the lower veranda. Thanks for the memories.

Date: 12/14/12 19:22
Author: agrafton

Like snow, great to catch trains in the snow. You caught them well done
alan

Date: 12/15/12 06:13
Author: ironmtn

That is a very impressive viaduct, much longer than I had previously thought to be the case. Great images which depict it well in context -- sure educated me. Nicely done with the snow. Thanks!

Date: 12/15/12 09:23
Author: tp117

The viaduct is 1.78 miles from the west end to just east of where the photos from the apartment were taken, an embankment for 205 feet, then the trestle contines east for a total length of 2.24 miles. A unique factor of this viaduct is that it parallels the river and does not cross it. Don't know any others like that, except for a bit in St Louis

Date: 12/16/12 18:36
Author: ns1000

NICE set of pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0785 seconds