Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Except for the trains, it isn't looking like Christmas

Date: 12/16/12 10:44
Except for the trains, it isn't looking like Christmas
Author: erie833

The weather in my neck of the woods this weekend was more conducive to an Easter egg hunt than a Santa train. With no snow and temps today in the mid 50's it's hard to believe Christmas is about a week away here in NEO. Regardless, I wanted to catch a couple of the local "Polar" Express trains that were running in the area, but had to settle for mostly overcast views of the trains.
First is yesterday's Polar on the Ohio Central out of Dennison, Ohio. Fresh and clean OC SD40-2's on each end made for a nice looking train. First photo is the train passing through Uhrichville as it departs for the North Pole (located in Newcomerstown). Note the "PRR" freight station, now a pizza shop.
Looking west from the same bridge, note the former B&O diamond in the distance, now property of R. J. Corman and long dormant south of here.
Passing MP 102 in Port Washington.

RAD

Date: 12/16/12 10:54
Re: Except for the trains, it isn't looking like Christ

OC arriving at the "North Pole".
Passing through a built to last bridge on this former PRR Panhandle Line.

The CVSR ran several "daylight" Polar's this weekend (most are at night). The Akron section has just arrived at the North Pole (in this case, Peninsula, Ohio!). A former ATSF, now LTEX, GP-30u will be in charge on the run back to Akron.

RAD

Date: 12/16/12 10:59

The Akron train stopped at the Pole for a few moments as a multitude of Elves entertain the children.
The Cleveland section arrives just after the Akron train clears with yes, another LTEX junker on it. These days the CVSR could tale a few lessons from the OC on how to run a good looking train :)
Santa arrives to greet the train in his on "steam powered" sleigh.

RAD

Date: 12/16/12 11:04

I followed the Akron section back since I had to go that direction anyway, so two "in the clouds" photos ar attached.

Last weekend was my company Christmas party. We "delivered" Santa to the waiting kids on our local caboose.

RAD

Date: 12/16/12 12:26
Author: a737flyer

I moved to Miami, Florida from Tacoma, Washington to take my first flying job in 1968 and I'll tell you that first Christmas in a t-shirt and flip-flops took a bit of getting used to...!

Date: 12/16/12 15:20
Author: jmbreitigan

My favorite is the steam powered sleigh : )
John

Date: 12/16/12 17:40

a737flyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I moved to Miami, Florida from Tacoma, Washington
> to take my first flying job in 1968 and I'll tell
> you that first Christmas in a t-shirt and
> flip-flops took a bit of getting used to...!

With a lot of my family living in Florida since '76, I've spent a couple of holiday seasons down there over the years. It is different for someone use to snowy and cold winters, but OK for a change now and then.

RAD

Date: 12/16/12 18:20
Author: stlrailfan

Roger ,
good stuff I guess the CVSR has retired all the Alcos in favor of leased EMD geeps.
Mark Mautner

Date: 12/16/12 20:07

stlrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger ,
> good stuff I guess the CVSR has retired all the
> Alcos in favor of leased EMD geeps.
>
> Mark Mautner

Not quite...but almost. Those Alco's are old and prone to "problems", so not wanting to strand a trainload of kids waiting on a rescue engine they short term leased a couple of LTEX units. FPA4 6771 was on the north end of the Akron train with one of the old RDC cars on the north end of the Cleveland section with the 1420 "pushing" north.
I believe there are still three Alcos running ok, but the writing is on the wall and it spells LTEX.

RAD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/12 17:45 by erie833.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds