Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > DrLoco-Why Close the Coupler?

Date: 07/23/01 05:40
DrLoco-Why Close the Coupler?
Author: GEBirch

DrLoco,
In a reply a couple of threads down you wrote that you closed the knuckle on the head end. Why? I though having knuckles open was goodness, particularly on an engine.

Curious George

Date: 07/23/01 05:54
RE: DrLoco-Why Close the Coupler?
Author: DRLOCO

well, there are a couple of reasons. I know it seems silly, but I was told by several old head engineers that closing the front knuckle (it's not gonnna be used on a thru-freight anyway--it's on the front!) would somehow make a difference in the event of a grade-crossing accident. Seems that they've discovered (and who are we to question "old head" mentality!) that if the knuckle is open, it will close around whatever part of the vehicle it strikes and "Couple up" the vehicle, making it less likely for the vehicle to simply get hit and then bounced out of the way. That's bad.
you're right, mostly. Having at least one knuckle open is essential to actually coupling up cars--just ask any "newbie" how embarassing it is to make a "butt" instead of coupling.
Personaly, I just close the knuckle because I think it looks silly when it's hanging out there open on the front of the engines. That's also the reason for tucking the MU hoses behind the plow. It's purely asthetic, but it makes for a god photo, right?~~DRLOCO

Date: 07/23/01 08:22
Author: Runs4TheNS

DRLOCO wrote:
>
> well, there are a couple of reasons. I know it seems silly,
> but I was told by several old head engineers that closing the
> front knuckle (it's not gonnna be used on a thru-freight
> anyway--it's on the front!) would somehow make a difference in
> the event of a grade-crossing accident.

Had a long-timer tell me the same exact thing, that an open knuckle is more likely to impale and drag a car at a crossing instead of the train pushing it out of the way, and I make it a habit to close the knuckle too. I wish I had a camera the night I had taken the time to close the knuckle, only to have a then just-promoted conductor turn around and open it 15 minutes later while I was pumping up the air. With a colorful expletive thrown in, I asked what he was doing.

"I don't know, was just messing around."

"Well, I purposely closed that same knuckle a little while ago, I'd appreciate it if you closed it back up again."

The confused look on the guy's face was priceless. He complied, and after we departed I did take the time to politely explain why I preferred to have it closed. He seemed to understand, but as it turned out his railroad career didn't last long. He moved to yardmaster trainee a few months later, then resigned about three after that. Couldn't hack the hours.

I've heard other old heads talk about closing the rear knuckle, as it's supposed to be bad luck to leave it open. Anyone else hear that one?

Date: 07/23/01 08:22
Author: herbsommers

Unless the hoses are brand new and there is new paint on the plow.

Date: 07/23/01 08:39
Snow n' ice !
Author: mp208

Having railroaded for 15 years in northern New England, it became immediately obvious why you kept the knuckle closed on the lead unit. If left open, snow and ice quickly build up, and it may take 30-40 minutes to dig, and "fusee" it out when you want to make a coupling later on.

Date: 07/23/01 08:51
Author: railsmasho

I've heard about people coupling up with autos at a crossing with the knuckle open. When I worked on the east coast I was told by an old head that it was considered bad luck to leave the lead knuckle open. Ever since then I've always closed the lead knuckle. I get some weird looks from old heads here in the midwest when I get on a train and the first thing I do is shake my head and close the lead knuckle.

The other reason was already stated, always better to butt knuckles with another train than couple up. If we could only get the carmen to understand that and make sure the rear knuckle is always closed.

I was told a story once from a young engineer. He was working with a green conductor and they shoved a train up a hill with 4 light units. At the crest they cut away and switched ends. Just as they were about to head the other way all of a sudden they were going backwards. Apparently the slack had rolled out on the train they helped and coupled back up with them and they never noticed. That's got to be a shocker.

Date: 07/23/01 13:38
Author: rn8dtblt

Well I guess I'm not the only CSX engineer that closes the the lead coupler and tucks the airhoses away after all....

Date: 07/23/01 18:22
Author: Beava

I generally close the lead one also. Even in the yard (Well, in that case it's the east one) For the same reasons listed above; Coupling up cars at grade crossings. I never bother with the hoses, except in the winter. If they get iced up they can be a real pain.

And the closing the rear knuckle is supposed to keep your luck from running out the tail end of the train.

Beava

Date: 05/05/17 15:17
Re: RE: DrLoco-Why Close the Coupler?
Author: Chooch

The old PRR had drop down couplers on the front of many of their steam locomotives as an adjunct to the safety comment above.

Jim
Hatboro, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1826 seconds