Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Any CSX news about a derailment in Maryland?

Date: 02/21/13 07:48
Any CSX news about a derailment in Maryland?
Author: ClubCar

I am unable to get out to explore myself; however on the news this morning there was a report of a CSX train derailment on the former B&O Philadelphia main line below Elkton, Maryland. Does anyone know anything about this? The news was very vague other then no one was injured. Thanks.

Date: 02/21/13 07:51
Re: Any CSX news about a derailment in Maryland?
Author: NSDTK

Date: 02/21/13 07:51
Author: bigmc83

I noticed Wilsmere was quiet this morning. Trains sitting, but looked to be shut down. Your question allowed me to find some info on the Cecil County, MD newspaper site, The Cecil Whig:

http://www.cecildaily.com/news/local_news/article_0b55dcac-7c38-11e2-9642-0019bb2963f4.html

Sean

Date: 02/21/13 07:55

NSDTK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2
> 997731
>
> Posted from Android

Sorry NSDTK, but this is not the same thing. I'm talking about a derailment south of Wilmington, Delaware in Maryland.

Date: 02/21/13 07:58

bigmc83 Wrote:
> I noticed Wilsmere was quiet this morning. Trains
> sitting, but looked to be shut down. Your
> question allowed me to find some info on the Cecil
> County, MD newspaper site, The Cecil Whig:
>
> http://www.cecildaily.com/news/local_news/article_
> 0b55dcac-7c38-11e2-9642-0019bb2963f4.html
>
> Sean
Thanks Sean, I read the article and am glad that it was a minor event, no one was injured.

Date: 02/21/13 08:22
Author: tp117

Last night watching the news about 2315 I head the BE disp say something about a derailment. I cannot hear west of State Line signal on my home scanner so I turned the computer back on and got on the Wilmington railroad radio net. I did not hear the beginning of the conductors report but eventually it developed that 10 cars were derailed, four on their sides, and one tank car had it's bottom valve ripped off and leaking sulfuric acid. The derailment was at West Singerly, tore up some track, the switch and took down a signal. Train was Q439 which probably had 5279, 936, and one more and 90 cars. Derailed cars were 33rd to 42nd if I heard that right. The Barksdale local was on the main and q439 routed around it on the siding. They assisted with the reporting.

This location is very near the base for the Wilmington radio net and I-95, but is inaccessible to the public even in good times so there is no sense trying to get there. I do not know the status of the cleanup to now, except the rear end of Q439 has been pulled back to Wilsmere. Last night Q140 was held at Aiken and Q405 is on the main at Wilsmere. it would be my guess that CSX Philly Sub will see no thru trains all day today and maybe into tomorrow.

Date: 02/21/13 09:08
Author: toledopatch

Train "compartments," not cars, according to the Daily Whig. That's a term I've never heard before.

Date: 02/21/13 09:44
Author: CR6444

toledopatch Wrote:
> Train "compartments," not cars, according to the
> Daily Whig. That's a term I've never heard before.

Sounds like an airline baggage compartments or overhead bins... Jees...LOL

Date: 02/21/13 14:06
Author: NSDTK

Woops sorry. I knew the Coal derailment was at the WV MD line didnt know they stacked another train up

ClubCar Wrote:
> NSDTK Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2
>
> > 997731
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
>
> Sorry NSDTK, but this is not the same thing. I'm
> talking about a derailment south of Wilmington,
> Delaware in Maryland.

Date: 02/21/13 16:07
Author: BaltoJoey

Date: 02/21/13 18:21

Status 2000 hours. First, re: 'none of the cars leaked'. What I heard listening to the cndr report was that he smelled odors from the tank car, gave the number which he wrote down, said the bottom valve was ripped off. In fact the enger said dont inhale that stuff too much or you might get one of those four hour erections!. After laughing at that, I went to bed. Maybe it stopped later, it was dark, and cold.

To date, and I have not listened to everything, is that the cars were re-railed in mid afternoon after waiting for some new wheelsets to arrive by truck from Philly. Probably the switch at W Singerly was not damaged as bad, or at all as I originally heard, because the train bringing the track panels was told the switch was 'in power'. A B669 arrive at Wilsmere 1640 to take an engine and get the re-railed cars. Went west at 1725 and returned at 2050 with 11 cars, the derailed ones re-railed and cars from DO21. Had to go 10mph back with the cripples. Q405 from last night was re-crewed and ready at Wilsmere 1905.

By 2100 obvious railroad is re-opened with Q140 from last nite at W Singerly, given permission past the signal, and two more EB's following, prop a q216 and Q036. Trains need to be talked by the W Singerly signal. The event is essentially over, except for the inevitable back up of trains, and I do not plan to make any more posts. Seemes to me to be an efficient clean up given the initial reports.

Date: 02/21/13 22:52
Author: poffcapt

"...In fact the enger said dont inhale that stuff too much or you might get one of those four hour erections!. After laughing at that, I went to bed. ..."

How'd you feel when you woke up...heh, heh.

Date: 02/22/13 12:25

Like Balto Joey said there was no 'spill' as reported bt todays newspaper. But what I heard on the scanner initially did not say there. I could not stay awake to hear the reports of the emergency respone crews. It is a good thing because if the tank car was leaking they might have closed I-95 which is several hundred yards to the south. I imagine the conductor got odors from the valves since the tank car was overturned, but also said valve ripped off. But it was cold and dark and he did not linger for good reason. Today...Friday the railroad is open but there are so many backed up trains that M of W is having a hard time to get track up to speed and test the EB signal at W Singerly, which was either uprighted last night or this morning. The event is essentially over, except for some remaing trains running out of their normal time slots.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds