Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > U-BOATS in Y-Town, Ohio!

Date: 08/03/01 08:58
U-BOATS in Y-Town, Ohio!
Author: beauprejesse

Happened to be in Youngstown, Ohio yesterday and did a little train spotting. Stopped over at Mid-West Steel under the Division Street Bridge to see what was being scrapped. There were about 20 Conrail B23-7's, 7 or so CSX C30-7's one painted in Family Lines paint, and about 5 U23B's. One was in ACL paint although not sure if it was a U23B or not. You want to talk about being surprised to see that. Sad to see them go, but at least I was able to get some pics before they were totally gone.
Jess

Date: 08/03/01 12:03
RE: U-BOATS in Y-Town, Ohio!
Author: lakecities

Jesse,
Did you get the number on that ACL(SCL) U-boat in the scrap yard? I read somewhere that a U18B in SCL paint was sent to that scrapper recently.

Date: 08/03/01 12:58
Author: beauprejesse

I believe it was 17?? or 19?? series. I have pics, but it will be a little while before I get them. I have to pic up 19 rolls today and that's gonna cost a lot. I will get you the # when I get them back. Should have written them down. my bad.

Date: 08/03/01 20:59
Author: scapegoat

I don't think any of them are getting cut up real soon. theya re actually useing one as a back up for the plant switcher. I was told by manager tuesday none were going to be cut up soon.I will ask when I talk to him again monday. We should be in there this week doing some repair work on thier switcher. I saw the unit so maybe I can have my guys get the #

Date: 08/04/01 08:51
Author: wle1768

I've made a couple trips out to Youngstown over the last couple months and have seen all the units out there. From looking at the shots I've taken out there, there is only one U23B, CSX 3305. The rest are either CSX or CR B23-7's, with one still in Family Lines paint. As for the black unit, I believe it's BDLX U18B 1927, still in SCL paint. It's hard to see from the highway, as it's back in the facility. Althought I've never seen it work, there is one CSX ex-CR B23-7, 3181 which they appear to be using, instead of their blue SW1 MSWX 501, which is ex-CR 8508. In the past, they have also used a red ex-B&O NW2, but it's now stored, coupled to a couple CSX C30-7's. All these units came be seen, from the Martin Luther King highway overpass, without tresspassing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds