Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Pay Rate(s)

Date: 08/03/01 08:26
NS Pay Rate(s)
Author: T-MOTOR

Would someone please explain to me, in layman terms, why NS only pays "X" amount of a percent of an hourly rate for a class of service, e.g. 80% of 17.14?
Also, how do 'They' determine what class of service you would be assigned to?
Call me silly, but wouldn't be more acurate to say that you'd start at about 13.00 an hour and after 5 years you'd make close to 19.49?
Thanks in advance to all the 'heads' that answer this 'rookie' question!

Date: 08/03/01 10:40
RE: NS Pay Rate(s)
Author: Jaap

all new hire and transfer employees get payed a progression rate over 6 years
it makes no differece if you are car inspector - conductor - engineer - or other
you start at 70% of your salary
second year 75%
third year 80%
fourth year 85%
fifth year 90% (no 95%)
sixth year 100%
its kind of unfair as you do get 100% of responcebility of your job from day one

Date: 08/03/01 13:08
Author: locoengineer

The step rate was negotiated into the Collective Bargaining Agreements as part of the Halloween Massacre in 1985 I believe. So c'mon over heah with us other post '85 ers and grab those ankles...here we go...

LE

Date: 08/03/01 16:39
Author: cr-engineer1

With the looks of the new contracts, what we got from the BLE last year and the embarassment that the UTU tried to stuff down it's members throats, there is still a long way to go.

Date: 08/03/01 19:54
Author: NS020596

Class rates are determined by the job you do such as thru freight, yard rate, road switcher, locals, etc.... For example: I make more for a basic day (8 hrs) on a yard job than I would on a thru frieght road train 130 miles with no overtime.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds