Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What Happened To NJ Transit's U34CH's

Date: 09/02/01 12:11
What Happened To NJ Transit's U34CH's
Author: sDp-35

What happened to those lovely units that they used to have, and how long did they last.

Date: 09/02/01 13:07
RE: What Happened To NJ Transit's U34CH's
Author: NjT

Hopefully, they have been cut up into scrap, and will never be forced upon crews again.

Date: 09/02/01 13:33
Author: ge13031

Ask the man that has to make it go! Sounds like some horror stories behind that post.

Date: 09/02/01 14:45
Author: Lackawanna484

4172 is currently undergoing restoration on the New York & Greenwood Lake in Passaic NJ

Many of them went to Mexico on termination of their NJT service, after about 25 years of use. During a period in the 1970s, they pulled commuter trains M-Fri, and worked freight for Conrail on the weekends. It wasn't unusual for them to work freight west to Buffalo or Cleveland, turn and return to NJ to resume the weekday work.

Bob Malinoski wrote an article in a very early Railfan (circle 1977) on the Bluebirds.

Date: 09/02/01 17:04
Author: lakecities

After retirement, NJ Transit traded all of the U34CH's except 3372, to Conrail for a group of rebuit GP40H-2's. Majority were sold for scrap to Cycle Systems but a few were sold to to Mexico where they are currently stored out of service. There are two sitting at RMDi in Pittson, PA minus their trucks.
In reference to Lackawanna484's posting, I've been told they were used in freight service on the Erie Lackawanna. This practice was discontinued when Conrail took over the EL.

Date: 09/02/01 18:24
Author: Lackawanna484

As I recall, Malinoski's article maintains the NJDOT U34CH fleet was used for freight under Conrail while the inherited power was rebuilt and new power constructed. I'm not sure there is any reference to use for freight prior to Conrail.

I'll hunt for the article and quote directly...

Date: 09/03/01 04:08
Author: n01jd1

The EL got the U-34's in 1971-72 to replace the E-8's and RS-3's as they did not have HEP to go with the new Comet cars. The EL did use them in freight service on weekends but usually they did not venture west of Buffalo as they had to be back in New Jersey for the Monday morning commuter rush. Conrail continued this practice in the early years untill more leased and new power could be aquired.

Date: 09/03/01 04:54
Author: lakecities

Metro-North(NY-MTA) also had one U34CH which was originallly a C&NW U30C. It operated over NJT rails unitl the early 90's and was sold to Naparano Iron & Metals for scrap.

Date: 09/03/01 18:30
Author: rdg484

Like Lackawanna484 said, some of them went to Mexico, others went to scrap. Also, the 4154 suffered a blown crankshaft while on lease to SEPTA about 10 years ago during the much-publicized "Railworks" project that required a few diesel trains for the former Reading side. To the best of my knowledge, it never returned to service.

Date: 09/04/01 07:03
Author: GG1

4154 actually received dark blue SEPTA paint and markings for its few months spent in and around Philadelphia. It was the only U34CH leased by SEPTA to be repainted.

Date: 09/04/01 07:43
Author: beauprejesse

I grew up watching those big units. In fact, I was four years old when I got my first cab ride in those units. Compared to todays units, I would much rather still see them running. Nothing like seeing one of those Beauty's flying past me at Denville, N.J. and hearing them all the way to Dover!!!
Someone mentioned the Metro-North unit. That was #4183.
One of the units down in Mexico is #4160.
Both EL and Conrail used these units in freight service on weekends. Most of these units came from the Boonton line Pool service since the Boonton didn't have weekend service. On occassion, these units were dead headed to Croxton, run to Binghamton, turn and go to Scranton then come back via the cut-off to Dover. I saw this a couple of times in the late 70's. Three to Four units pass by late Friday night at Suffern, N.Y. heading west, and catch them returning Sunday Afternoon at the Lake Hopatcong, N.J. heading east. Wish I could remember those symbols.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds