Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Thrall Q2 Trilevel Autorack

Date: 09/02/01 12:53
Thrall Q2 Trilevel Autorack
Author: MP36PH-3S

The Thrall Q2 Trilevel Autracks are a recently new design, being an integrated-unibody design(compared to most autoracks, which are racks{enclosures} on flatcars), 1 Unit(not articulated), and adjustable rack settings, to accomodated 15 light trucks, or 18 cars. They are 20'2'' high(same as TTQX tri-levels)and 90' in length. These are weird looking autoracks, and to my knowledge Union Pacific has bought 350 of these, there is also a Thrall demonstrator, but I was wondering if any other RR's have these autoracks, because two nights ago I saw what looked to be like a Canadian Pacific Thrall Q2 car(it had holes, not screens, It looked to be like a Canadian Pacific Thrall Q2 car(it had holes, not screens, it looked like extra room at the ends and looked taller than the TTGX Bi-level autoracks), but it was hard to tell because the train was at speed and it was at night.

Picture of UP Thrall Q2 car from NE Railfan site:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/up800344.jpg

Picture of Thrall Q2 autorack demonstrator from NE Railfan site:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tcqx99002.jpg

Site these were taken from, intermodel equipment from NE Railfan:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/intermod3.html

So does anybody know if Canadian Pacific, or other RR's, besides Union Pacific, also have these cars(car #'s available), also does anybody have pictures of these autoracks, they are willing to post?
Thanks a lot,
Antonio H.

Date: 09/02/01 18:07
RE: Thrall Q2 Trilevel Autorack
Author: Ball-n-Bar

I think what you saw was a repainted CPAA auto. I have started to see these racks filter through the yard. These rack used to be red and have small holes on the side unlike other modern racks with the new CP Rail spelled out on the side. If it isn't one of those it could be the Johnstown America style rack as seen in the picture...who knows?

KJ Larson;UPRR
Chicago

Date: 09/02/01 18:12

And here is my picture os a UP Q2 taken at the 2000 RSA show in Chicago, IL.
Enjoy

KJ Larson;UPRR
Chicago

Date: 09/02/01 18:18

And finally here is the CPAA auto in question. The new paint scheme is an off white I believe with Canddian Pacific Railway printed out on the side.

KJ Larson;UPRR
Chicago

Date: 09/04/01 10:20

Thanks a lot, Kevin L. Thats a really good shot of the UP Q2 Autorack, as are the others as well, but I'm definitaly printing the UP one. I am glad you always share w/us your photos, especially since you have access to lots of RR Equipment & info, that most of us don't have.
Thanks,
Antonio H.

Date: 09/04/01 10:22
RE: Thrall Q2 Trilevel Autorack, thanks!

Sorry, meant Kenneth.
Thanks again,
Antonio H.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds