Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The wonders of NS

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/17/01 19:05
The wonders of NS
Author: cr3317

It amazes me to think that NS continues to pound the Shelocta branch with SD80MAC's. I love the 80MAC's more than anyone else, but just look at this photo. Does anyone else see something wrong?

Even at 10mph, I'm not so sure that four SD80MAC's and 90 coal cars should be running daily on 100 lb rail that was made by Carnegie Steel in 1898. I just thought this digital from Creekside, Pa., would let folks know why derailments aren't an odd occurrence on the Shelocta Branch.

Go NS!

Scott H

Date: 10/17/01 19:22
RE: The wonders of NS
Author: CJ

Where is this branch located?

Date: 10/17/01 21:04
Author: P

Kind of boggles the mind, but cool photo!

Date: 10/18/01 03:25
RE: Carnegie Steel
Author: billio

Hey, nothing wrong with Carnegie Steel!

Date: 10/18/01 03:41
Author: roadrat

Hey, I got a free jacket, crystal horsehead, NS hat and pin, railroad atlas and an NS mug for witnessing a bridge collapse on that line. If anyone wants details on that, e-mail me to my TO box before it is gone, or at >>danevalent@webtv.net<< . It happened Easter Sunday 2001. Its a 10 mph branch with 5 mph slow orders ......Roadrat

Date: 10/18/01 04:53
roadrat
Author: matt

Post your story here roadrat.

They don't make 'em (steel) like that anymore!

Date: 10/18/01 05:53
Wonders of NS
Author: radioman2

This does not surprize me!In Salisbury,NC i have seen the Salisbury switcher put a car in a place called the coach yard and the rail will raise between the trucks of the GP38orGP50! Just like the rail they are running on NS is far behind the times.They should be using those BIG MACS on the ASHEVILLE line or SALUDA where they could be used as they were intended.NS seems to be anti-EMD anyway,CSX loves the SD80MAC's.The only reason i can see for them using the here are the 5-10 mph track would most likely be hard on DC traction motors.But at the same time they must be way to heavy for the rail!!!

radioman2 out

Date: 10/18/01 08:53
Author: peachfuzz

Was your NS jacket the black one with the GP59 embroidered on the back? They gave me one for helping haul an injured conductor to the hospital back in 1995.

Date: 10/18/01 08:56
Shelocta collapse

I can send it out as an attachment, but I can't cut and paste it out of my storage area......I'll send to your TO e-mail box upon request....Roadrat

Date: 10/18/01 08:57

My jacket was from the U.T.U....Roadrat

Date: 10/18/01 09:53
Author: CRsmurf

Hello,

Yes by all means go Railfan this line!!! Garaunteed you "WILL"
witness a derailment sooner or later!!!!!! The first time
Roadrat, and I had the chance to railfan this line is when
the Wreck Roadrat is talking about happened back on Easter Sunday
2001!!! Talk about Bad luck!!! The investigation is still on
going from what I have been told. That line is Cursed, and will
be abandoned sometime next year from the sounds of things.
Maybe I oughta go up there and Railfan that line on October 31,
2001 Halloween!!!!!, Just to see what happens, Roadrat you game!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony K, CRsmurf

Date: 10/18/01 09:57
Author: CRsmurf

Hello,

Here is a photo from that Fateful Easter Sunday 2001.
"The Aftermath"

Tony K, CRsmurf

Date: 10/18/01 10:10
Author: narrowgauge

How did you get that shot of my layout? Nice underside weathering. NG

Date: 10/18/01 10:41
Author: SLR62

Mighty fine track, and a fine cleanup job on the sides too.

Date: 10/18/01 13:23
&quot;Conrail Quality&quot; track
Author: halfmoonharold

Just out of curiousity, what power did CR use on this wretched track? Is the mine shutting down, or will the coal go another way if they abandon the line? I don't think you can blame the NS for the track condition. It's Pennsy's fault!

Date: 10/18/01 15:05
RE: &quot;Conrail Quality&quot; track

Halfmoon, This is the 80MAC land in W.Pa that all MAC fans want to chase between Indiana and Punxsy, PA. Its an old B&O branch out of Riker Yard to the Shelocta Power Plant. Conrail used a hoard of small 4 axle power to get the trains from Etna, PA to Shelocta. It wasn't till NS took over, that all the 80MACS disappeared, except for two of them in Southfork. This is the operation that uses 2 MACS on each end on 100 lb rail made at the turn of the "last" century. The scenery on this line is nothing short of fantastic. You just have to be patient until a train arrives at Punxsy.......By the way Tony, don't say "BOO" too loud on Oct. 31. The entire train may jump the track! 10 mph with 5 mph slow orders, keeps you ahead of the train the entire length of the branch.........Roadrat

Date: 10/18/01 20:19
B&amp;O???
Author: halfmoonharold

Wow, am I ever ignerint! And a power plant you say? Why didn't I figure that. There ARE mines in that area though, aren't there? Is this line near the old Cambria & Indiana? Although I find it fascinating as a railfan, as an employee I wonder why a line that apparently makes some $$$ was allowed to deteriorate for so long. I've heard that Conrail spent too much money on new engines, at the expense of other things. Although those expensive 80MAC's with their radial trucks probably are safer to run there than SD40's.

Date: 10/18/01 23:09
RE: B&amp;O???
Author: cr-engineer1

That is the advantage of the radial truck, it's flexibility. I can't imagine that track standing up to the 80MAC's weight and tractive effort for any length of time.

Date: 10/19/01 03:50
RE: B&amp;O???

If you get one of those Railroad atlases, showing all abandoned rail lines in Indiana County, you would literally be amazed at how much was there at one time. Creekside PA was a major rail junction at one time. Now NS steals rail off a branch to Blacklick, PA. to replace rail on the Shelocta Branch.The MACS are literally destroying that branch. It falls under the FRA's "accepted track" rules. Little maintainence, 10 mph running, no hazmat cars. In September NS rolled 5 cars near Marion Center. Cut them up on site. Put a 5 mph on that section........NS wanted money from PA to rehab a portion of the line from Creekside, PA to Saltsburg, PA so NS could once again tie into the Conemaugh Line and to avoid the running of the Shelocta trains on the B&P. PA said no. And understandably so, since NS screwed Hollidaysburg. The state of PA wants NS to rehab the entire branch from Punxsy to Shelocta and let CSX and B&P in on the act. NS wanted to abandone the branch north of Creekside after the connection was built. Therefore isolating the Shelocta Power Plant to NS only.......Roadrat

Date: 10/19/01 05:53
RE: B&amp;O??? no, BR&amp;P!
Author: punxyspatcher

You have to remember, that this rail was pounded to hell its entire lifetime! It was the BR&P that ran double headed or fore/aft 2-6-6-2s over this line for years and years into the B&O after 1932. Its only suitable that a diesel of equal size would run the trains over these monster grades. CR Smurf and Roadrat, I'm headed that way this weekend, both days. Hopefully, one of those days, I'll find the southbound loaded train I've been looking for! Every time I'm there, the crew dies at Riker!

Spatcher out.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0655 seconds