Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Vintage New Haven

Date: 10/22/01 19:04
Vintage New Haven
Author: alligatorfan

These photos are from my fathers collection and were taken by his father. It looks like this 4-6-2 has assembled its train in the yard at Waterbury and is heading down to the station to pick up passengers. The roundhouse and shops are in the background.
Alligatorfan

Date: 10/22/01 19:08
RE: Vintage New Haven

I'm pretty sure this is still Waterbury, but there's no info on the slide except for a date. Looks like a 4-8-2 passing a tower off to the left. Gotta love the brutish look of these engines.
Alligatorfan

Date: 10/22/01 19:11

This engine was dressed up for something. Possibly a railfan excursion. Anybody have any info on this?
Alligatorfan

Date: 10/22/01 19:15

Nice shot from a bridge in Waterbury. From what I've heard it's far and few between to get snow shots with sun back east. I have more photos if anyone is interested.
Alligatorfan

Date: 10/22/01 21:52
Author: lynnpowell

Awesome photos! Please show more! There are from slides, correct?

Date: 10/23/01 03:15
Author: ge13031

Wonderful ... those are well preserved for 1947 color shots ... whats the secret ?

Date: 10/23/01 06:39
Author: wabash2800

ge13031 wrote:
>
> Wonderful ... those are well preserved for 1947 color shots ...
> whats the secret ?

They are most likely kodachromes. I used to have a large collection from the 1950's. I sold the collection to a fellow out east for $8000!
I noticed the few ektachromes in the collection were faded. The individual that shot the slides when most folks were shooting B&W used a Leica and the ASA was like 10! I has professional 35mm internegs made and sold prints for a few years before I sold the collection. I regularly had prints made as large as 11x17 with great results!

Date: 10/23/01 09:32
Author: GG1

These are fabulous shots and certainly well-preserved for 54-year-old slides, suggesting they are indeed Kodachromes. Seeing color from this era is quite a treat, as most railfans back then - and there were far fewer than nowadays - relied on B&W. The snow shot is particularly interesting, with the obvious coating of cinders on the otherwise fresh snow. Thanks much for sharing!

Date: 10/23/01 15:10
Author: nycman

Always interested in more photos of steam! Great shots.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds