Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Naval Weapons Station Yorktown RR?

Date: 07/27/13 13:57
Naval Weapons Station Yorktown RR?
Author: hsr_fan

Yesterday while cycling from Williamsburg to Yorktown along the Colonial Parkway I noticed this abandoned rail line which does not appear on the map. This was a couple of miles before I even reached the river and the Navy pier. Anyone know when it was abandoned?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/13 13:58 by hsr_fan.

Date: 07/27/13 14:49
Re: Naval Weapons Station Yorktown RR?
Author: BaltoJoey

I can't help you with when it was abandoned.
But, it was a C&O railroad line that went from
the Naval Station and connected to the main line via a wye
between present day Routes. 60 & 143.

Google maps show a bit of the wye.

http://goo.gl/maps/iAh37

BaltoJoey

Date: 07/27/13 16:37
Author: pmirick

Most all the tracks in the Naval Weapons Station where removed several years ago. For some reason the section you have a photo of were not taken out. There is a siding that comes off the main that goes into the weapons station - sort of like a team track. I haven't seen any cars on this track for several years. My guess is the track were taken out in the 90's but can not verify.

Date: 07/27/13 20:27
Author: emd_mrs1

Most of the USN NWS Yorktown rail and equipment was removed or scrapped in the 90's. Maybe a hundred 40 and 50' boxcars were scrapped, as was one of the USDOT high-speed record Test cars (looked like a silverliner). The 65 and 80 tonners were transferred elsewhere.

There is still a track leading in to the base but the switch connecting to CSX is incomplete.

The two former lines down to and on the "U" shaped ammunition loading pier are still there visible from the colonial parkway.

Just up the road there was another branch into USN Cheatam Annex which is the wye track that crossed Rt143. It was closed in the late 90's after years of very limited use. Muck of the on-base railroad was removed but most of the connection to the CSX was left in place under years of shrub growth. Crossings have been removed.

As an aside, the roadbed of the line into Cape Peary is now a hiking/biking train near Airport Road in James City County. Fort Eustis (Army) still has a semi-active railroad.

Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/13 11:40 by emd_mrs1.

Date: 07/27/13 22:54

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most of the USN NWS Yorktown rail and equipment
> was removed or scrapped in the 90's. Maybe a
> hundred 40 and 50' boxcars were scrapped, as was
> one of the USDOT high-speed record Test cars
> (looked like a silverliner). The 65 and 80 tonners
> were transferred elsewhere.
>

Interesting, thanks all for the replies! I'm surprised the track I photographed still looks so passable all these years after being abandoned. That's definitely the one to the Cheatham Annex that I photographed. Kind of a shame to see the Navy abandon rail if they merely shifted to trucks.

Also, what the heck was the USDOT car doing down in southern Virginia?

Date: 07/28/13 05:52
Author: DanThorne

Cheatham Annex had an active connection, storage and even a locomotive till after 2001.

DT

Date: 07/28/13 11:54
Author: emd_mrs1

hsr_fan Wrote:
>
> Also, what the heck was the USDOT car doing down
> in southern Virginia?

The four USDOT Silverliners were retired to Ft Eustis VA.

T1 became a coach for public rides on "Superday" open houses at Ft Eustis as well as a coach for training locomotive engineers. It is still in good shape.

T2 was scrapped on site after being stripped for parts. I and a representative from a museum just happened to arrive the next day, one day too late. There were few recognizable parts left but a few items from the car were saved (no, we did not save the stainless steel commode). They also cut up the original heavyweight Pullman which was built into the first experimental hospital car from which the later ones were built.

T3 or 4: One went to the nearby "Dan Daniels PX Distribution Center" to be used as an employee break room. It is now landlocked and I am told that the Center would like to get rid of it any way they can. It can be easily viewed from a public street. Turn opposite the Pepsi plant entrance on US60.

T3 or 4: The other car had a large hole cut into the side of it at some point and was moved to the USN Yorktown railroad (reason unknown). Rumor has it that a bunch of drunk/drugged personnel trashed the interior of the car beyond any use. (this is not confirmed). The car disappeared about the same time the boxcars were being scrapped.

Michael

>
> Also, what the heck was the USDOT car doing down
> in southern Virginia?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/13 11:59 by emd_mrs1.

Date: 07/28/13 12:23

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
>
> T3 or 4: One went to the nearby "Dan Daniels PX
> Distribution Center" to be used as an employee
> break room. It is now landlocked and I am told
> that the Center would like to get rid of it any
> way they can. It can be easily viewed from a
> public street. Turn opposite the Pepsi plant
> entrance on US60.
>

Oh wow, yeah, I know that car. I knew it looked like an old Silverliner! I just graduated with my MBA from William & Mary, and last summer I did my internship with Swisslog just down the road from that location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds