Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Norfolk, VA

Date: 11/08/01 06:29
Norfolk, VA
Author: bnsf521

I am leaving today for a weekend trip to Norfolk, VA. I'll be staying at the Sheraton on Waterside Dr. Will I be close to anything? I have never railfanned the area. If so, could some directions be provided?

Date: 11/08/01 09:07
RE: Norfolk, VA
Author: rbx551985

First, get a street map of the area that shows all the RR tracks. If you visit any yards, beware of the neighborhoods around you; sometimes the local clientel may or may not be very friendly. MOST important, because of the stepping up of area security, NS yards are most certainly OFF limits. If a sign says not to tresspass, obey it! The NS police down there are very strict, and that is as it should be: The Norfolk/Porstmouth has major world ports, and is also one of the US Navy's largest ports as well. Just remember their needs, and let your railfanning fit into the grooves as they may, in safety and prudence.

Norfolk has what NS has described in the past as the world's largest coal pier, although it's not dumping much this year. You'll still see coal trains and empty hopper trains, though. The Chesapeake & Albermarle shortline interchanges with NS near NS's Portlock Yard, and there are several freight/Ford Parts trains moving on NS to & from the west on NS's mainline. Norfolk-Portsmouth Belt Line RR switches in that area also, and you might also catch daylight moves of the Eastern Shore RR, interchanging freight with NS at Portlock Yard (I'm told access to the ESHR operation at the Little Creek Yard is now iffy at best, due to the fact that the yard goes thru the middle of a local Navy Base).

Just be cooperative if ANY official "greets" you, and enjoy your stay.

Across the Elizabeth River, in Portsmouth and "West Norfolk" is the CSX port operation (which sends a nightly container train "Q139" to Chicago, and receives its counterpart "Q130" there as well.) The Commonwealth Railway (shortline) runs from a chemical plant in West Norfolk to Suffolk, but operations are sporadic, and speeds on the line are 10 mph.

Any others have some suggestions?

Oh--there are at least two good model train stores in the area, and maybe more. Just check the yellow pages for addresses & times they are open for business. Call for directions, and to be certain they'll be open when you want to visit. The shop employees/owners will likely have even more GREAT directions/suggestions for area railfanning as well---and where NOT to go at this time.

F.Y.I.: There is a major (annual) model RR show this weekend up in Richmond, at the Science Museum, put on by the RF&P Model Railroaders (this Sat. & Sun.), and the following weekend (Nov. 17) the Chesapeake Bay Model Railroaders will have an open house---of one of the largest and best-known area HO layouts in the Tidewater area, at their clubhouse on Rt. 17 in Grafton, Va. (several miles south of Yorktown, Va.)

ENJOY!

Date: 11/08/01 09:57
Author: DE30AC

There was a spot I videotaped back in 1993 at the mouth of a NS yard where the NPBL interchanged. That was the only spot in Norfolk I could find that was any good.
Oh , I did get some video of NS switching a Ford plant, backing into and out of the plant with trilevel autoracks, but that spot was only good once, every other time there was nothing happening there.
Another time I was able to get into an abandoned brick tower at the CSX yard in Newport News, and I did tape some Chessie units sitting in the yard , but there were no moving trains that day.

Date: 11/08/01 10:18
Author: rs36

You'll be near the NS jacknife bridge over the Elizabeth river, near the ball park. The bridge is only lowered at train time. There is a road crossing near there, but it's not the safest part of town to loiter in, so I'm told. I've sent a summary of what's in the area to your TO Email(Everyone CHECK YOUR MAIL <BG>). If you have any other questions, shoot them to my mail, and I'll try to get you an answer.

Date: 11/08/01 12:04
Author: TACK4

Where are the good train stores at. They may be good if your looking for Lionel, but not HO. I live here and have to go to Indianapolis to find a good store.

Date: 11/08/01 16:18
Author: calsubd

Not sure if the battleship is open for tours yet, but i think its close to your hotel, might be a photo opportunity though, regards ed

Date: 11/08/01 17:23
RE: Norfolk, VA...to Indianapolis?
Author: IU_Tower

Why Indy??? When are ya coming back?

Date: 11/09/01 04:15
Author: TACK4

I'm a transplanted Hoosier. I will be in town during Thanksgiving for a few days. Tom Metzler's hobby shop on the south side of indianapolis has every thing.

Date: 11/10/01 08:59
Author: IU_Tower

Nah....Train Central on the east side....TACK4 wrote:
>
> I'm a transplanted Hoosier. I will be in town during
> Thanksgiving for a few days. Tom Metzler's hobby shop on the
> south side of indianapolis has every thing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds