Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway

Date: 08/20/13 18:56
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
Author: OCtrainguy

I was on vacation last week in the lower Pocono mountains. We spent several days in the Lehigh Gorge State Park, checking out both the Rockport and White Haven access points. After not seeing, and not really expecting any trains as they mostly run at night, we spent Friday at the Glen Onoko access point. We walked up past the MP 126 signals before returning to them to photograph the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway train heading into the park as seen in the first photo. In the second photo, the engine is running long hood forward as the train is south of MP 125 and on its way back to Jim Thorpe. After enjoying lunch in Molly Maguires Pub and Steakhouse, I photographed the three o'clock train returning to the station.

More photos to come.

Date: 08/20/13 19:00
Re: Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway

After arrival in Jim Thorpe, the engine runs around its train as seen in the fourth photo. From there, we headed back into the Lehigh Gorge State Park to check out the Glen Onoko falls and the Lehigh Valley trestle over the Lehigh River. In the fifth photo, the 4:30 p.m. trains heads back to Jim Thorpe. In addition to the Lehigh Gorge train, Reading & Northern 802 was parked west of the station as seen in the final photo.

It was a great day to be in the park and see some trains. Hope you enjoy.

Date: 08/20/13 19:05
Author: Out_Of_Service

they're heavily advertising this train in the Philly area ... nice photos

Date: 08/20/13 19:59
Author: Gonut1

That area is seriously heavy in rail history. I'd love to get there.
Gonut

Date: 08/20/13 20:05
Author: Pumbaamd

Hi Gonut,
Hope you are enjoying your summer!
Rick

Date: 08/21/13 00:25
Author: Out_Of_Service

hey G i haven't seen you post to much this summer ... i heard word that you went on vacation this summer to MARRAKESH so you could ride the
MARRAKESH EXPRESS :-)

Date: 08/21/13 16:47
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!!! I went to the Lehigh Gorge one fall. I enjoyed it very much.

Date: 08/21/13 19:55
Author: P

Are the cardboard cut outs popular with the visitors?

Date: 08/22/13 07:51

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are the cardboard cut outs popular with the
> visitors?

Yes, they are, particularly with the younger visitors.

Thanks all for the compliments. This is an area of the state my wife and I enjoy visiting very much. And you can't go wrong having the ex-Lehigh Valley line still active while you walk/bike on the old CNJ line. Plus, the old CNJ turntable is along the access road into the Glen Onoko access point of the Lehigh Gorge State Park, and you can walk along what was PQ tower. Lots to see and do for rail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds