Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > GM&A Northbound at WR Tower in Granite City, I

Date: 11/25/01 21:27
GM&A Northbound at WR Tower in Granite City, I
Author: frontrangeflyer

Here is a shot I probably took in April '65 when stationed at Granite City Army Depot. I didn't take nearly enough pics even though I very much enjoyed going right out the front gate of the Depot and following Neidringhaus Blvd. until in hit the tracks which was near the depot and WR tower. I've enhanced this shot as much as my skill permits. It shows the interesting crossing watchman shanty that stil stood and the tower in the background. . . Joe S.

Date: 11/26/01 04:45
RE: GM&A Northbound at WR Tower in Granite Cit
Author: gladhand

Joe, thanks for the flashback. I haven't been by WR since 1999. As I am sure you know, the operator at WR is long gone, in fact, I am not sure if the tower is still standing, hope so.

Date: 11/26/01 06:54
Author: cozephyr

GM&A stands for ? I take it this is in Illinois. Thanks for the photo post. Ashame some photographers didn't label slides/prints back then.

Appreciate the slice of bygone days,

The Colorado Zephyr

P.S. Nice to see photos from other than California and Colorado.

Date: 11/26/01 06:59
RE: GM&O Northbound at WR Tower in Granite Cit
Author: railtrekker

Typo. Should be GM&O. Gulf Mobile and Ohio

Frontrange- will be posting it on the GM&O group in about 1 hour.
Thanks.

Date: 11/26/01 07:00
Author: gladhand

I think he might have meant GM&O.

Date: 11/26/01 15:48
Author: fireman424

Tower was taken down by catapillar a couple of years ago, I believe the board from the tower was saved by the museum of transport.
Randy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds