Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Leave it to NS....

Date: 04/21/02 21:59
Leave it to NS....
Author: CSXDash9

...to put one of their D9-40CW's on a 4 car local and run it long hood forward! I think this is proof that they have way too many of these beasts. You think those cars can handle 1000 hp each?! This is NS #13 southwest of Fuquay-Varina NC on the original NS mainline a few weeks ago, now just a little used branch. They run both ways so on one leg they end up running backwards. Don't get to see 'hammerhead' style too often these days.

CSXDash9

Date: 04/21/02 23:44
Re: Leave it to NS....
Author: Runs4TheNS

That picture reminds me of some bad dreams I've had... <g>

Date: 04/22/02 03:55
Author: ddavies

They need special permission to hammerhead on the mainline.

They use Dash9s here in Manassas on locals (that run on the main) a lot. May just be how heavy the track is, rather than if it is a local or not. Not sure how many of the GP38 class are left.

Date: 04/22/02 05:32
Author: Robbman

When the W's first saw service, they used one on a local on the Pulaski sub. It ran long hood forward as well. And derailed on the spur into a brick plant. No wonder they need special instructions.

Date: 04/22/02 12:28
Author: dmedlinns

and I hat to run them like that, you can't see :-( around the hammer head .
don

Date: 04/22/02 18:15
Author: GAP

CSXDash9 wrote:

> ...to put one of their D9-40CW\\'s on a local and run it long hood forward! Don\\'t get to see \\'hammerhead\\' style too often
> these days.
>
I saw this in Michigan, too. Last summer on a local called B-16 between Jackson and Kalamazoo.

Date: 04/22/02 21:02
Author: mp109

The other day I saw one long hood forward on the H68 (WIMX car stone train)on the Pittsburgh line west of Harrisburg on its way to Enola.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0309 seconds