Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Steam Engine Down the A-Line ?

Date: 07/30/14 12:19
Steam Engine Down the A-Line ?
Author: TrainChaser

Hey guys,
A guy I work with for CSX asked me to try to find some info on this...
On Feb 9, 1981, a steam engine came south on CSX's A-Line through Yemassee, SC, under its own power. Not sure if it was pulling a train or what, but from what he remembers, it was heading down to Florida, possibly to go to a museum. Anyone know what engine it was, and where it went? Or somewhere I could find out? Thanks for any help.

Posted from iPhone

Tim Rich
S. Ogden, UT

Date: 07/30/14 12:24
Re: Steam Engine Down the A-Line ?
Author: PowellWye

Sounds like C&O 614 heading south for the Family Lines Safety Express gig. See http://www.themetrains.com/chessie-safety-express-timeline.htm

Date: 07/30/14 12:25
Author: joethephotog

Do a search for

Yemassee, SC, steam train, 1981

and see what that Trains Forums thread is about. My work computer for some reason won't go to trains.com, but will come here.

Date: 07/30/14 12:59
Author: ctillnc

Note that one of the photos in the thread referenced above shows that the train ran over the ex-SAL across the North Carolina-Virginia line. Given that the line was abandoned five years later, this is quite possibly the final run of a steam locomotive on that line.

Date: 07/30/14 13:15
Author: TrainChaser

Thank you guys for the quick help. That would appear to be the engine. Thanks again.

Posted from iPhone

Tim Rich
S. Ogden, UT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds