Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Eddystone Oil unloading

Date: 08/08/14 18:25
Eddystone Oil unloading
Author: EdP

A CSX train was unloading at the Eddystone, Pa transload site today. Two CSX GE's for power. Trains are longer than the circumference of the two circle tracks around the unload sight (former PECO Power station). When the train arrives it travels counter-clockwise around the outer track until the last tank is at the first unloading station. At this point the power is already on the inner track and approximately 20 cars past the rear car. The front half is cut and the train continues until the last car of the front half of the train arrives at the first unloading station on the inside track. The power is cut and continues around the inside track circle until they pass the crossover from the outer track. At this point both halves of the train begin to be unloaded and the power is separated. One unit crosses over to the outer track. Both units are now positioned about 6 cars from the first tanker being unloaded, one unit on each track. The rear 20 cars of the train were positioned at the unloading racks on the outer tract. The last 20 cars from the front half of the train were at the unloading stations on the inner track.

When the 20 cars are unloaded the unit couples up and pulls the half train in a clock-wise direction until the next group of 20 cars are in position to be unloaded. Interestingly, the train is again cut and the empties are pulled about 6 car lengths away from the next loaded car. This is repeated for the opposite track. Cars are not unloaded with the power attached. I can only assume this is done for added safety for those who work under the cars.

I left at this point. I would like to watch them reassemble the train. I believe the train cars will be in their same positions as they were on arrival, but the power will be placed on the opposite end. Both buffer cars need to be on the ends. They need to get more efficient with the same level of safety if they ever think they can dump 2 trains a day. Assuming that the train arrived during the SEPTA 12 mid-night to 4 AM window, the second cut didn't begin to unload until 11 AM.

Date: 08/08/14 19:46
Re: Eddystone Oil unloading
Author: Out_Of_Service

Date: 08/09/14 06:16

Thank you. I read them when you first posted them and they are terrific. I wanted to understand the switching moves as to how they get the two cuts unloaded and to understand their ability to potentially dump two or more a day. Your photos show a train arriving well before the SEPTA midnight to 4 AM window. Is the window in effect or do they allow a train through when they have time in the Airport line? In order to be used to the maximum they will need cooperation from SEPTA.

Date: 08/09/14 08:18
Author: tp117

That train went empty by Wilsmere about 0700 this morning and was described as very 'hot', think I heard symbol K065. The regular CSX carload train C788? does not seem to be affected by any SEPTA window. I heard from a reliable source today that Eddystone is unloading five or six trains a week now, delivered by both railroads.

Date: 08/09/14 19:28

They have to make a reverse move somewhere in order to go south. Any idea where this takes place?

Date: 08/10/14 03:25
Author: LocoCam

Train was run around @ cp vine & cp greys ferry. Local does not have a window on septa, but oil deff does, 12-4.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds