Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > EMD's & a little Heritage Power in the Kentucky Rain

Date: 09/02/14 18:10
EMD's & a little Heritage Power in the Kentucky Rain
Author: EMBell

Sunday 08/31/14 Carmon and myself headed out early to meet up with a few friends from Virginia to spend the day out on the CNO&TP between Burnside & Danville, KY. The weather forecast would have kept most folks at home in front of the TV on a Holiday weekend, but I am One of those odd folks that actually LIKES to shoot in the rain, and rain we had...lots and lots and lots of rain.

I have always liked the idea of showing what the railroad does in all types of weather, and if its going to be a dark cloudy day, then I would prefer it to be pouring. The rain can create some interesting light conditions, and tends to even everything out. You can shoot places and angles that you normally would not on a sunny day. In 12 hours or so out, NS treated us to enough trains that I stopped counting, including a nice all EMD 223 and the Wabash 1070 on Northbound 124 to end out the day.

Here are a few samples, and you can see the entire set (from the DRY comfort of your screen) at this link >>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/ns_cs_2014_eb

08/31/14

#1 Northbound 264 climbs out of the Cumberland River valley behind a KCS Belle. The train is seen here passing the new signals at MP 165.3, just North of the former CP at Grove, KY. This is the newest section of double track on the CNO&TP between Burnside and Somerset.

#2 Northbound 216 heels into the sharp curve just South of the Pittman Creek bridge at Elihu, KY. The train is on the new #1 track which has only been in service for a month or so.

#3 The sound of Three big EMD's in #8 throttle is all but drowned out by the heavy rain as the train slogs up Kings Mountain.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/14 18:11 by EMBell.

Date: 09/02/14 18:15
Re: EMD's & a little Heritage Power in the Kentucky Rai
Author: EMBell

#4 Wabash 1070 brings train 124 North across the Cumberland River at Burnside, Ky during One of the brief lulls in the rain.

#5 124 is down to a crawl as they top over Norwood hill on wet rail.

#6 124 creeps up the North main at Danville, KY and passes the power for the West Side yard job tied down for a shift change.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 09/03/14 06:33
Re: EMD's & a little Heritage Power in the Kentucky Rai
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds