Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX F-train near Halifax, NC

Date: 10/09/14 19:42
CSX F-train near Halifax, NC
Author: NCDave

"Reeses Store Road" is a rural crossing, just north of Halifax, NC on the CSX A-Line; see the lettering on the signal box. The southbound train's consist was mostly steel plates on flatcars, which is possibly from the connection with the NC-VA at Boykins,VA. Just a "photo-of-opportunity" using my cell today.

Date: 10/09/14 21:50
Re: CSX F-train near Halifax, NC
Author: moltensulphur

There in Halifax there's a nice wide spot to pull off of 2-lane US 301, right abreast of the A-Line ROW. When I make my north-south trips (Maryland to Florida) I always like to pull off there. And for some reason always seem to get a train there. Track speed's pretty high there, even though the spot I'm referring to is a on high speed curve.

US 301 is great to railfan the CSX main in North Carolina. I usually jump off I-95 at around Emporia Va. and stay on 301 till a bit north of Fayetteville. Great way to break up a long I-95 (boring) trip.

Date: 10/10/14 12:52

MoltenSulphur,
I know exactly the spot you mention. I sometimes eat my take-out lunch there. Some other decent places to park and watch along U.S. 301 in that particular area are downtown
Weldon in the small park behind the Rockfish sign, downtown Enfied, and the Amtrak station at Rocky Mount. Train traffic can be very variable on that line..sometimes nothing moving for long periods, then several in short spans of time.

Date: 10/10/14 15:47

I'll have to check out the Rockfish park. I'm sure I've snooped around there in past years, but don't remember it. I gave Weldon a pretty thorough look, but that was during my first trip through there several years ago. And isn't Enfield where the crossing guard shanty is?

Date: 10/10/14 15:52

One more thing: I remember seeing a trackside steam-era water tank somewhere along that stretch, up to about two years ago. Do you recall where that was?

Date: 10/10/14 18:10

Trackside water tank??...no, I don't recall that one but thanks for mentioning it. Will keep my eyes open next time I am over there along that line. I am about 35 minutes from Halifax. Yes, the old tower is in Enfield--I posted a photo of that a few weeks ago.
Regarding the area behind the big rockfish sign in Weldon----it is just a gravel parking lot..not really much of a park. It is a place to observe the CSX line on the trestle over U.S. 158, just west of the Roanoke River crossing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds