Home Open Account Help 193 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > James P. Gallagher, 82, veteran, photographer of local

Date: 11/14/02 04:08
James P. Gallagher, 82, veteran, photographer of local
Author: smiller

Date: 11/14/02 06:05
Re: James P. Gallagher, 82, veteran, photographer of lo
Author: CSXvet

I've said this on another board but will repeat it here: In my opinion, Jim Gallagher was one of the greatest. I think he was the rail photography equivalent of painter Ted Rose, in that he he brought a new artistic view to a subject that had become heavily cliche-ridden. Part of his talent was purely artistic, in such things as composition,lighting, etc., but part also was in catching the working railroaders at just the right moment. Although he confined himself primarily to Maryland, I think he had a wide influence on the best rail photographers of his time. And besides, he was simply a great guy.

Herb Harwood

Date: 11/15/02 12:21
Re: James P. Gallagher, 82, veteran, photographer of lo
Author: railscenes

Is there any chance we could get a sample or two of Mr. Gallagher's rail photos here on TO?
Did he ever use 4x5 Ektachrome in his early work? Where would one find a connection to ask about his work and what his family intends to do with his collection of rail photos?
To some this may seem callous to ask after his passing on but in my opinion is essential to preserve photos that some may perceive as being trash or that no one would be interested in. I have found this true with my own family and my own father's photo work in industrial and agricultural advertising in stills and motion picture formats. My mother felt that no one would be interested in his photos or 16mm movie films. I am now in the process of finding organizations that would be interested in his photos.

Unfortunately train photography was very low on my father's list. In fact his advice to me as a boy, coming from a professional, was to never take the photo until it is sold first. He then realized that very few train photos would exist and let me use the old Kodak 35 that he purchased after his discharge from the US Army Air Corp as a photographer in Europe. My father may have crossed paths with Mr. Gallagher while going through their training in the 1st Motion Picture unit in Hollywood, CA in 1942. I have just a few of his photos and some their work from that period from 1942-45.
Inspector Gadget

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds