Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS B-Line "Relaxed Fit" Curve moving towards

Date: 11/30/02 17:06
NS B-Line "Relaxed Fit" Curve moving towards
Author: mancey

Today's view of the new curve on the B-Line where it connects to the mainline in Manassas, VA. The existing B-Line track now takes a meandering path that requires a 10mph slow order. This perspective looks generally east from the Rt. 28 crossing towards the yard office.

Date: 11/30/02 17:49
Re: NS B-Line "Relaxed Fit" Curve moving towa
Author: kevin157

Is the yard office near the Manassas passenger depot? I was there last April. Just trying to get my bearings from the prospective of your picture. I remember going east on Rt 50 to get to Manassas, but I wasn't driving. I was sightseeing while my local friend drove. Thanks! Kevin

Date: 12/01/02 04:18
Answer for Kevin

No...the yard office is near the Wellinton Rd. crossing of the mainline about a mile south of the old passenger depot. This is where the B-Line connects to the mainline. Technically, I believe the B-Line is the north leg of the wye. NS33 can you confirm?

Date: 12/01/02 05:36
Re: Answer for Kevin
Author: ddavies

Wouldn't it be the west leg?

Date: 12/01/02 08:06
Re: Reply to Dave

You would logically think so, but I believe it goes back to the days of the first two railroads that were the reason for Manassas Junction.

Date: 12/01/02 09:10
Author: ddavies

If going to Front Royal is north, what direction is Alexandria (railroad direction)?

Date: 12/01/02 15:52

Dave....NS has the B-Line running east/west and the mainline running north/south. Crew and dispatchers refer to the north and south legs of the wye because they connect to the north/south running mainline.

Date: 12/01/02 17:04
Re: Answer for Kevin
Author: NS-33

Sorry for the delay in my response. I'm a little under the weather and have not been keeping up with TO's. To answer your question about the B-Line-you are correct. The B-Line actually connects the #2 Main at the north end of the yard. This is known in the ranks as the Harrisonburg "Branch" Main stemming back from the old days when the trains ran from Pot. Yrd. to Harrisonburg. Today all our run-through trains (to and from Hagerstown) pass through Manassas on the "Southleg". There is still alot of work to be done on the new connection as you can see in the pictures but knowing the boys in our track department when they get it done it will be nice. We are all looking forward to using it. Hope this answered your questions.

C.M.
Wash. Dist.

Date: 12/01/02 21:11
Thanks Carlton!

I will always remember when you stalled out last April on the Linden grade. Your second engine cut out 212 , I think. I was with my best bud Eric. he ratted on you , saying you were NS-33. Nice to hear from you again. Happy NS trails to you up to Hagerstown and back. Take care! Kev...

Date: 12/01/02 21:13
Thanks Carlton!

I will always remember when you stalled out last April on the Linden grade. Your second engine cut out 212 , I think. I was with my best bud Eric. he ratted on you , saying you were NS-33. Nice to hear from you again. Happy NS trails to you up to Hagerstown and back. Take care! Kev...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0376 seconds