Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Chasing South Shore Geeps Down The Street

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/26/15 02:03
Chasing South Shore Geeps Down The Street
Author: SDP40F600

I was in Michigan City, Ind., recently and while there took some time to railfan the South Shore. One of our objectives was to get images of a South Shore freight train doing street running. We were able to get a light power move on 11th Street about mid morning.

(Photo 1) GP38-2 Nos. 2000 and 2005 have just entered the street running at the far east end of 11th Street. The street running ends at East Michigan Boulevard, which can be seen beyond the locomotives.

(Photo 2) The locomotives are passing Maple Street (houses to the left).

(Photo 3) The going away shot showing No. 2005.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/15 02:03 by SDP40F600.

Date: 03/26/15 02:08
Re: Chasing South Shore Geeps Down The Street

(Photo 4): You've heard of a steeple cab, but how about a steeple coming out of a cab.

(Photo 5): After the passage of the 2000 and 2005, we got in Adam's van and gave chase. The next photos in the sequence were made from the passenger side of the that vehicle. I liked the perspective of this image because it has an urban street feel to it with traffic signals, street signs and all manner of things you find on a street. Presumably, trains must obey the traffic signals. If you look to the right of the locomotive, you'll see a milepost 34 sign on a utility pole. The railroad and street must coexist and mingle here.

(Photo 6): We've caught up with the train and are pacing it. I imagine that some people pass the trains in the street but we didn't.

Date: 03/26/15 02:19

(Photo 7): The South Shore tracks make a jog and resume street running on 10th Street. There are a few places in America with street running, but probably not many of them feature a grade crossing signal for tracks in which the train is coming from directly behind you on the same street. If you don't stop behind that yellow sign, you might get clipped as the train makes the turn that it is shown making here.

(Photo 8): After making the jog shown in the previous image, South Shore trains cross Kentucky Street and Chicago Street. They also cross the Amtrak Michigan District. The signals visible at the left edge of the photo are the eastward home signals for the Amtrak line. Note the crossing gate that is up next to the lead South Shore locomotive. It is for 10th Street and activates for trains on the Amtrak line. The South Shore-Amtrak diamond is on the edge of 10th Street. 

(Photo 9): We gave chase to the light power move out of Michigan City, following it on the parallel West Dunes Highway. We turned onto Lake Shore County Road to get another image of it at the grade crossing. The locomotives have stopped just to the east of the crossing to wait for a meet with an eastbound passenger train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/15 02:31 by SDP40F600.

Date: 03/26/15 02:22

(Photo 10) The meet took place just east of the Beverly Shores station. With the passenger train having completed its work, the light power move has moved ahead slightly to block the crossing.  The passenger train can be seen coming in the distance.

(Photo 11) South Shore freight meets South Shore passenger.

(Photo 12) The light power move has the signal to continue westward on the single track. At this point we returned to Michigan City.

Date: 03/26/15 04:41
Author: jmbreitigan

A real nice series with some interesting angles. There is something about your first photo that grabs my attention. The area in your photo is devoid of any activity except the two locomotives. Could be a IOTD lurking in this series.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/15 04:45 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 03/26/15 04:48
Author: Benched_it

I'd love to catch something like this, great shots!

Jay

Date: 03/26/15 04:59
Author: PennPlat

As a matter of fact no humans in any of the shots except those in charge of the power.

Date: 03/26/15 05:20
Author: P

PennPlat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a matter of fact no humans in any of the shots
> except those in charge of the power.

Quite amazing considering the territory photographed!  Kinda spooky.

In any case, those are great looking locomotives and some outstanding photographs.  Thanks for posting.

Date: 03/26/15 07:18
Author: colehour

I can recall the days, nearly sixty years ago now, when the South Shore also went down Chicago Avenue in East Chicago. The line was elevated from just east of the Hammond station to run along the Toll Road. 

Date: 03/26/15 07:35
Author: WrongMain

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can recall the days, nearly sixty years ago now,
> when the South Shore also went down Chicago Avenue
> in East Chicago. The line was elevated from just
> east of the Hammond station to run along the Toll
> Road. 

I can remember that, too.  As a little kid, it was kind of scary to see a big old 800, aka Little Joe, in our rearview mirror!

Date: 03/26/15 08:25
Author: Waybiller

Great series, thanks for sharing.

Date: 03/26/15 11:01
Author: DrLoco

Trains on the  street do not obey traffic signals, they have had the lights timed to allow the train continuous (albiet slow) movement through. there was (don't know if it's still there) a block signal in the sidewalk protecting the diamond with the NYC( Amtrak) at the west end of the tracks before the street trackage swings over from 10th to 11th streets.
I remember my dad used to really like catching one of the trains on the street, he would tuck in next to it and have green lights all the way through from the east end (where my dad's mom lived) to the west end (where my mom's mom lived). it was the fastest run through town-following that train!

Date: 03/26/15 13:52
Author: Cole42

Neat shots.  I like the irony in #5 where the "no trucks" sign is, no trucks but trains are fine!

Date: 03/26/15 14:25
Author: DR

I found a person in #7 inside the fence. 
Awesome shots!

Date: 03/26/15 16:00
Author: dr1283000

Fantastic Craig, pic one does it for me. Thanks for sharing, Ken

Date: 03/26/15 23:42
Author: highgreengraphics

Great shots, whenever I am there it is Dark and rainy! === === = === JLH

Date: 03/27/15 04:57

Thanks to everyone for all of the compliments about my photos. They are much appreciated.

Date: 03/27/15 09:09
Author: wag216

I really, really enjoyed your work! Thank you. wag216

Date: 03/27/15 09:50
Author: glibby

Excellent photos.  Thanks for posting.  Do you have a specific date for them?

Date: 03/27/15 10:52
Author: DD40

I liked the series, especially the lighting. Just a nice feel to it.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0947 seconds