Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Skaneateles Short Line RR

Date: 01/02/03 09:46
Skaneateles Short Line RR
Author: Kurat

Anyone know if the five-mile Skaneateles Short Line RR is still operating in New York State? And what power...Thanks.

Date: 01/02/03 10:07
Re: Skaneateles Short Line RR
Author: locoengineer

Sorry, but the Skaneateles SL died a peaceful death some years ago. The last freight moved in 1981. Last motive power was GE 44T #6. It was sold to New York State Electric & Gas and later sold for parts to the Lowville & Beaver River Rwy.

For more information, check out the website of the Central NY Chap. NRHS. http://www.rrhistorical-2.com/cnynrhs/

There is a book published by the Chapter entitled "Short Lines of Central New York" that chronicles the history of the line, its motive power and structures if they are of interest.

Rick

Date: 01/02/03 11:02
Author: halfmoonharold

There was an article in RR Model Craftsman (RMC)about 30 years ago on this line. Might be worth looking for if you are really interested, there were several photos of the line in operation.

Date: 01/02/03 11:07
Author: birdman

My wife grew up in Skaneateles. In spite of the shortline aspect of the line (5 miles long), it was designated as a class one railroad and had a very interesting history. At various times, it owned 5 steam locomotives and two diesels, and at it\'s zenith, served over 30 customers. For most of the many years that it operated, it was the only class one railroad in the country that had a woman general manager (two different women actually held the position). The line made a profit for over 100 consecutive years in operation. When it\'s last major customer - the Stauffer Chemical Company - closed, the line was forced to shut down in the 1960\'s. The first locomotive was a Mason Bogie built in 1867.
Locomotive No. 6, a GE 44 ton center cab, is now in the possesion of the Lowville and Beaver River Railroad in upper New York state.

Date: 01/02/03 11:09

My wife grew up in Skaneateles. In spite of the shortline aspect of the line (5 miles long), it was designated as a class one railroad and had a very interesting history. At various times, it owned 5 steam locomotives and two diesels, and at it\'s zenith, served over 30 customers. For most of the many years that it operated, it was the only class one railroad in the country that had a woman general manager (two different women actually held the position). The line made a profit for over 100 consecutive years in operation. When it\'s last major customer - the Stauffer Chemical Company - closed, the line was forced to shut down in the 1960\'s. The first locomotive was a Mason Bogie built in 1867. Locomotive No. 6, a GE 44 ton center cab, is now in the possesion of the Lowville and Beaver River Railroad in upper New York state.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 01/02/03 13:02
Author: wabash2800

halfmoonharold wrote:

> There was an article in RR Model Craftsman (RMC)about 30
> years ago on this line. Might be worth looking for if you are
> really interested, there were several photos of the line in
> operation.

Very good Harold! It was the February issue of RMC. A friend of mine, Douglas Leffler, from Jackson, Michigan wrote the article--great journalism and photography. I remember asking him the same question a few years ago.

Date: 01/02/03 23:59
Author: BrianJennison

Well, it didn\'t shut down in the 1960s... I shot a blurry slide of the 44 tonner at work in February, 1972 on my way to Geneva, NY to visit a buddy at Hobart College. Always regretted not getting a better shot of them...

Date: 01/03/03 04:43

Brian is correct. While the line stopped operating into the actual town of Skaneateles in the 1960\'s, service continued to the Stauffer Chemical plant until 1981. The Stauffer Chemical Company was located in Skaneateles Falls, NY and was about a mile from the interchange with the New York Central\'s branch line from Syracuse to Auburn. Today that branch is operated by the Finger Lakes Railroad.

Date: 01/03/03 08:35
Re: Skaneateles wooden RR
Author: Kurat

Thanks for the great info, gents! I am particularly fond of the SSL RR, as when I was little I got a set of Skaneateles wooden trains (since absorbed, I understand, by a German outfit but still based in Skaneateles). They were a delight to play with, had tons of neato accessories, and felt great in the hands. I still have a little wooden loco from those bygone days. Sounds like a nifty operation for real, too. Kurt.

Date: 01/03/03 11:53
Author: VunderBob

A slight hijack: How in h*ll do you pronounce \'Skaneateles\'?

Date: 01/03/03 12:01

It is pronounced "skinny atlas".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds