Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Penn Central Family Kind of Day in Pittsburgh

Date: 04/25/16 03:46
A Penn Central Family Kind of Day in Pittsburgh
Author: SDP40F600

My friend Adam and I set out for Pittsburgh on Saturday morning with the intent of trying to catch the Cumberland Railroad, which we did sort of. But that is for another post. We saw that the New York Central heritage locomotive of Norfolk Southern was leading a train 65R across Pennsylvania. The train was, of course, using the former rails of the PRR. I wanted to capture the NYC heritage unit in a location that said "PRR." What better place to do that than passing beneath a set of PRR position light signals. We chose CP Leets in Leetsdale. Those PRR relics may not be around much longer. The 65R with NS 1066 arrived in Leetsdale in late afternoon.

Photo 1: Passing beneath the PRR position light signals at CP Leets.

Photo 2: Zooming in on the NS 1066 to show those wonderful lightning stripes.

Photo 3: A wide perspective of the multitrack of the NS mainline not far from Conway Yard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/16 03:53 by SDP40F600.

Date: 04/25/16 03:49
Re: A Penn Central Family Kind of Day in Pittsburgh

Photo 4: After visiting a nearby Sheetz, we noticed that the 65R was waiting at a signal at the far east end of the entrance to Conway yard. Some locals on a bridge there said the 65R was waiting on an eastbound tank car train to leave. We had to get back home and didn't have time to wait for the 65R to pull down. So I got this telephoto shot of the NS 1066 waiting at modern Safetran signals. 

Earlier in the day while en route back to Pittsburgh after catching the Cumberland Railroad, we spotted a former Penn Central trailer sitting next to Interstate 79. We doubled back to get these Penn Central "heritage Photographs" As Photo 5 shows, the side of this trailer have taken a beating and are missing a few metal panels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/16 03:55 by SDP40F600.

Date: 04/25/16 03:51

Photo 6: I am not sure why the blue pick-up truck is sitting here, but the Penn Central trailer appears to have been in place for quite some time. There must be an interesting story as to how and why it got here. 

Photo 7: The PC mating worms are none the worse for wear with bits of green showing through.

Date: 04/25/16 12:28
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pic 3!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds