Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wilmington and Western 50th anniversary train

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/17/16 17:45
Wilmington and Western 50th anniversary train
Author: brfriedm

Tonight, the Wilmington & Western celebrated their 50th anniversary by running a dinner train with Steam(#98) and their new B&O switcher the total length of the line from Landenberg Jct that connects to CSX all the way to the end of the line at Valley Road in Hockessin, Delaware. I shot it at Landenburg(I was the only one there) and then went to the end of the line in Hockessin, Delaware at Valley Road which has never been done. Congrats to this jewel of Delaware which has survived a  couple hurricanes and the usual financial challenges. They are a survivor with a great volunteer crew. 

Bruce

These shots are from Landenburg Jct along the CSX main line which is ex B&O in Wilmington, Delaware

Date: 09/17/16 17:48
Re: Wilmington and Western 50th anniversary train

Approaching Greenbank Road where there main station is.

Date: 09/17/16 17:52

An hour or so later as they approach the end of the line as darkness approaches in Hockessin, Delaware my home town.

Date: 09/17/16 17:54

End of the line and some tough night shots with very little light.

Date: 09/17/16 17:57

More night shots and old and less old congregate to share stories.

Date: 09/17/16 18:00

Train approaches Hockessin Fire Hall. The fire company has its doors open on a cool evening.

Date: 09/17/16 18:01
Author: RFandPFan

Grreat photos Bruce!  I rode that line years ago when I lived up there, glad to see it is still a classy operation with really nice folks.

Date: 09/17/16 18:03

Radom shots as the train passes by Hockessin Fire hall.

Date: 09/17/16 18:08

The good stuff. A movie for your enjoyment.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/17/16 18:10

One more movie at the end of the line. Thanks for looking. Bruce

Date: 09/17/16 18:14

W&W heads home as they serve dessert and after dinner drinks!

Time for bed. See ya. Happy 50th to the W&W. A fine railroad for sure.

Bruce

Date: 09/17/16 18:27
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the pictures, absolutely love the shot without the train, just the light announcing its presence.

Date: 09/17/16 19:53
Author: Gonut1

Bruce,
Thank you for the excellent coverage! Years ago I stumbled into the W&W station to find a Revolutionary War renactionment group firing a cannon prior to the trains departure. Too cool!
Gonut

Date: 09/17/16 20:16
Author: ClubCar

Four things I would love to know:
​1. Do they haul any freight on this line?  2. This railroad just ends in the middle of nowhere by someone's home and a field?  3. Did the line at one time continue and to where?
​4. Is the Right-of-way still there beyond where it ends right now?
Thanks for the information.
John

Date: 09/18/16 00:04
Author: Tominde

Answers.

1. There is no longer freight hauled on the W&W except perhaps for a few hundred yards off of the CSX

2.  Yes by somebody's home in soccer and ball fields (park)

2.  The line used to travel 10 miles further to Landenber, PA.  The B&O abandoned service to Landenberg in the 1940s at which time it terminated 4 miles beyond its current point.  It was cut back to its current point in the 1950s.

3.  There is no longer a ROW beyond Hockessin Valley Rd, although parts are still distinguishable if you know where to look. 

4.  It is all private property now. Mostly big expensive homes.

Others with much more knowledge may chime in and clarify.

Date: 09/18/16 04:13
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice, I like the photo of the trian approaching Hockissen fire hall and the end of track photo in the evening.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/16 04:13 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 09/18/16 13:19
Author: boejoe

Hi Bruce;

Like everyone before me, I too thank you for your coverage.  It's nice to see "end of track" once and for all. Hockessin is on my "bucket list" - my parents were married there in 1938 and I understand it's home to a great CSX model railroad! (LOL)
  Any idea in which car the dinner/dessert was served? - perhaps buffet style?   I realize you were trackside and not on board.  It was convenient that your trip ended where it did.  Again, thanks for the prototype shots.
joe

Date: 09/18/16 14:31
Author: ClubCar

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Answers.
>
> 1. There is no longer freight hauled on the W&W
> except perhaps for a few hundred yards off of the
> CSX
>
> 2.  Yes by somebody's home in soccer and ball
> fields (park)
>
> 2.  The line used to travel 10 miles further to
> Landenber, PA.  The B&O abandoned service to
> Landenberg in the 1940s at which time it
> terminated 4 miles beyond its current point.  It
> was cut back to its current point in the 1950s.
>
> 3.  There is no longer a ROW beyond Hockessin
> Valley Rd, although parts are still
> distinguishable if you know where to look. 
>
> 4.  It is all private property now. Mostly big
> expensive homes.
>
> Others with much more knowledge may chime in and
> clarify.
​Thank you so much for this information.
John

Date: 09/18/16 15:51
Author: nhiwwrr

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Answers.
>
> 1. There is no longer freight hauled on the W&W
> except perhaps for a few hundred yards off of the
> CSX
>
> 2.  Yes by somebody's home in soccer and ball
> fields (park)
>
> 2.  The line used to travel 10 miles further to
> Landenber, PA.  The B&O abandoned service to
> Landenberg in the 1940s at which time it
> terminated 4 miles beyond its current point.  It
> was cut back to its current point in the 1950s.
>
> 3.  There is no longer a ROW beyond Hockessin
> Valley Rd, although parts are still
> distinguishable if you know where to look. 
>
> 4.  It is all private property now. Mostly big
> expensive homes.
>
> Others with much more knowledge may chime in and
> clarify.

They are still a switching operation and despite not having currently active customers, (Delaware Brick and a Lumber company used the same siding at Landenburg Junction, giving them 150-200 cars a year until the housing market collapsed) AFIK, they still have private equipment storage generating revenue. Delaware Brick is still in business and you can see it behind the 8408 in the second photo.

The line continued past Valley Road for 4, not 10, miles into Landenburg Pa. (6 miles of the W&W row existed railroad EAST of Landenburg Junction ending in downtown Wilmington, some of which is still in use by CSX within Wilsmere yard, some of which is not in use, such as "B and O Lane" at the extreme east end of Elsmere yard, which is the former W&W row.)

When the Pennsylvania Railroad ended their service to Landenburg on the Pomery and Newark line
(interchange point for westbound traffic), the B&O ceased regular operations past Hockessin as there were no active customers west of Hockessin. When the B&O tore down the Broad Run Trestle (800 feet long) following a fire, the line then ended in Southwood (right at the PA/DE state line) and this portion saw storage of freight cars for several years until the line was removed to Valley Road in 1954. The tracks continued west of Valley Road for about 50 feet until the 1990s when the state asked the W&W permission to remove the crossing altogether.

The ROW is very much distinguishable past the Valley Road crossing save for a few hundred yards that are now homes. As stated, you gotta know where to look - bit it is there.

The development past Valley Road was built in the 1960s....only one home actually sits too close to the ROW for comfort...the rest are far enough but too NIMBY to ever chance it.

Finally, this is not the first time they have ever traveled the full length with steam to the end of the line. Through the 1980s (in 1982 the W&W took ownership of the line), several trips went to Valley Road, including the 4th of July Trains and a couple Civil War Trains, among others. There are photos of #98 and #3 (0-6-0t) sitting along the Valley Road/Swift Field portion, however the trackage became impassable in the 90s due to no maintenance (cinder ballast and ancient ties last placed by the B&O still existed). When they rebuilt the line at the "Triangle", they intended to finish to Valley Road, but other priorities came to being and it never happened.

It's safe to say it's been about 30 years since the last revenue train traveled the full length, but certainly not "ever" in terms of W&W ownership.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/18/16 17:32
Author: HB90MACH

Is the old Pennsy steam engine still sitting near the Hockesson station?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1095 seconds