Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Classic Cab Units, shades of the IC

Date: 01/08/17 15:48
Classic Cab Units, shades of the IC
Author: ns2557

Well, in search of other things along the way today, I came upon this awesome scene.  Passing thru the North Batesville Ms area along I55 south of Memphis Tn I passed and then doubled back to see what this was. Lo and behold, Iowa Pacific's classy passenger train sitting on what appears to be an unused spur here off of I55 at Exit 246. (This is across from the Loves Trk Stop here)
The entire train can be seen in the shot. Other than the 2 Dbl Deck cars way back in this shot, it was all "classic" passenger cars including 2 domes. With Iowa Pacific's  IC inspired paint on the train and the E Units, one could envision the City of New Orleans along the old IC right of way that IP and Ed Ellis now operate. (That was what I was actually trying to track down down abit south of here at Grenada Ms) Gotta love it, Classic E Units/Passenger Train, things that ya really don't come across anymore today fro the most part.

Shot 1  This is IP E9A 518 leading on the east end.

Shot 2.  IP E9A 518 in her E Unit splendor. Can't mistake those classic lines, the bulldog nose, the A1A-A1A trucks the 2 lights on the nose.

Shot 3.  The opposite end of the same. You can see the cars on this end and in particular the "2" cars that are out of place.

This is today at N.Batesville Ms., 01-08-2017  Not a bad way to bring in a New Year.         1 more shot to follow.

Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 15:58 by ns2557.

Date: 01/08/17 15:57
Re: Classic Cab Units, shades of the IC
Author: ns2557

Last shot.. Here is IP E9A 515. You can really see the Chocolate Brown on the E in this shot.  I noticed that the Class Lights on this unit are no longer on the nose, as they were on the 518. The 518 had the light  receptacle for a  MARS Light, but it wasn't installed. But on the 515 you can see that this one does have the MARS. Not sure if it works, but sure looks like it might.  One question on both of these units.  The number boards appear to almost be decals on the nose, but do the actually have a light behind them so they can be illuminated?  I would think they do, but man it sure don't look like it.  Taken today at N.Batesville Ms  01-08-2017.   Thanks for looking.  Ben

Date: 01/08/17 21:15
Author: bayou bengal

Thanks for the detailed pictures.  I've noticed this equipment on a number of northbound  trips returning to Memphis from Louisiana on I-55 but never had the time to investigate.

Date: 01/09/17 08:19
Author: sd24b

ns2557 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last shot.. Here is IP E9A 515. You can really see
> the Chocolate Brown on the E in this shot.  I
> noticed that the Class Lights on this unit are no
> longer on the nose, as they were on the 518. The
> 518 had the light  receptacle for a  MARS Light,
> but it wasn't installed. But on the 515 you can
> see that this one does have the MARS. Not sure if
> it works, but sure looks like it might.  One
> question on both of these units.  The number
> boards appear to almost be decals on the nose, but
> do the actually have a light behind them so they
> can be illuminated?  I would think they do, but
> man it sure don't look like it.  Taken today at
> N.Batesville Ms  01-08-2017.   Thanks for
> looking.  Ben

The numbers boards are decals. Originally CNW.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/09/17 14:59
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pic 3!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds