Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Excitement at Walnuttown Rd

Date: 03/23/17 16:33
Excitement at Walnuttown Rd
Author: dschlegel

On my way home from the Berks County Courthouse in Reading, PA this morning I heard that 22Z was being held at Blandon while the H47 cleared up at Lyons and crossed over from Main 2 to Main 1.
I pulled into the parking lot at Walnuttown Rd between Blandon and Fleetwood to get a shot of 22Z in the morning sun. Within 5 minutes of being there this guy pulled up past the Low ground clearance sign and proceeded to lift his drive axles off the ground. 
I called NS police first, after getting him out of the cab, and was about to call 911 when a Fleetwood Fire Policewoman pulled up. She took care of calling Berks County 911 via her radio.

Shot 1 was roughly the angle from where I watched the guy get stuck.

Shot 2 shows the 3 or 4 inches of clearance below the drive axles.

Shot 3 shows the heavy duty tow truck lifting the trailer high enough for the landing gear to clear while another tow worker controls the truck while backing down the ramp. That's the driver in the black shirt and khaki pants.

I spoke with a couple of NS maintainers a bit about how often that crossing has trucks hanging up, and we joked how the local rig towing company should station a rig down by the Walnuttown Fire Company.

Enjoy everyone!
Dan

Date: 03/23/17 16:42
Re: Excitement at Walnuttown Rd
Author: RDG630

Duuh

Date: 03/23/17 16:51
Author: Lackawanna484

Run his CDL through the shredder. He won't be needing it in the future.

Date: 03/23/17 17:00
Author: emd_mrs1

Based on the layers of asphalt it looks like the railroad has been making the bump higher each time they do track work, thus making their own problem worse.

I just got my CDL-A after a 4 week class, only two sentences mentioned trains at all in the entire class.

Michael

Date: 03/23/17 17:10
Author: dschlegel

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Based on the layers of asphalt it looks like the
> railroad has been making the bump higher each time
> they do track work, thus making their own problem
> worse.
>
> I just got my CDL-A after a 4 week class, only two
> sentences mentioned trains at all in the entire
> class.
>
> Michael

The Reading Line through this stretch sort of rides a man made shelf on the side of the South Mountain. The approach to the crossing is from the downhill side of the crossing and the ramp was built probably by PennDOT (I'm pretty sure it is a state road and not a township road).

Congrats on getting your CDL!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/23/17 18:27
Author: VFPNSFAN

Great coverage Dan👍

Date: 03/24/17 02:35
Author: ClubCar

Stupid continues everywhere!  When will they ever learn?
Thanks for the great photos and story.

Date: 03/24/17 08:00
Author: m1bprr

As a CDL licence holder driving many large rigs in my 33 year career with a power company, It makes me wonder about some of these guys holding CDL's lately, good common sense would have prevailed here
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 03/24/17 09:16
Author: TAW

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stupid continues everywhere!  When will they ever
> learn?

There are entirely too many variations on stupid. Somebody, maybe the federal government or Microsoft, needs to establish a standard.

TAW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds