Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Let Me Have A Second Crack At It "UP1989"

Date: 12/14/17 04:06
Let Me Have A Second Crack At It "UP1989"
Author: NSSpike

Back on December 3rd the UP Heritage unit #1989 Rio Grande lead a unit grain train NS 46Z into Atlanta on it's way to Valdosta Georgia. At 9am on Sunday morning as the train rolled south into Austell Georgia the fog was as thick as pea soup and pretty much remaining that way on into North Inman Yard. After a crew change by the time it continued south the fog had cleared out but chasing it south of Atlanta wasn't in the cards.

A Foggy Chase Into NS Inman Yard:
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4430429,4430434#msg-4430434

Fast Forward

Well nine days later I had a second chance at capturing this unit under better conditions as it was leading NS 223 (KANSAS CITY MO / ATLANTA, GA) on Tuesday and around 9:45am I headed east to Austell thinking I would catch it there perhaps at Whitaker Yard. Well it was running late and ended up having a crew change at MP 109h Braswell Mountain some 25 miles north of Austell. By now it was after 1pm and I was running out of time plus where I was the lighting was getting weak. So I headed north to Hiram Georgia hoping the lighting would be better there and I just did manage to arrive in time. Today's 223 would bypass Whitaker Yard and go directly to Inman Yard.

#1 A short NS 223 with a single unit for power the Union Pacific Heritage unit Rio Grande #1989 on the main line NS Georgia Division North Atlanta District MP 125.2H. South bound trains that run on approach at CP Hiram MP 123.5h end up holding here so as to make sure they do not block the road crossing in town until the dispatcher gives them a “signal indication” notice. The next signal Clark is around the bend and not visible.

#2. On the move NS 223 entering downtown Hiram Georgia. Note the snow still on the shaded spots from this past weekends winter storm.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/17 04:16 by NSSpike.

Date: 12/14/17 04:07
Re: Let Me Have A Second Crack At It
Author: NSSpike

#3 NS 223 south bound under the GA-92 hi-way bridge at Hiram Georgia.

#4. South bound headed to CP Clark just around the bend.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 12/14/17 06:20
Author: SCKP187

Nice looking unit from many angles.
Brian Stevens

Date: 12/14/17 10:06
Author: PRR_4859

That engine didn't sit long with it leading 214. Is it normal for power off 223 to go outbound on 214? Also, does 223 carry UPS?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 12/14/17 13:45
Author: jmbreitigan

Awesome Phil.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds