Eastern Railroad Discussion > How many trains go by Cincinnati,OH per day

Date: 01/11/18 05:07
How many trains go by Cincinnati,OH per day
Author: Viewliner2_Supporter

Thinking about Going there soon !

Date: 01/11/18 09:10
Re: How many trains go by Cincinnati,OH per day
Author: florida581

There’s plenty of traffic on CSX and NS through Cincinnati...not to mention that CSX has one of its active hump yards in downtown. Plus, there are a handful of short lines that serve the city. Perhaps a better question would be, “Where in Cincinnati would I find the most traffic at a single location?” I’ve only been to Cincinnati a few times but I’ve always visited Tower A at the CUT. This provides an excellent, and safe, vantage point of CSX’s Queensgate Yard and NS’ Gest Street Yard and intermodal terminal. You’ll see nearly every NS train in and out of town here plus all CSX trains heading to the South.

Andrew

Date: 01/11/18 09:38
Author: exopr

I think Tower A is closed right now due to rehabing CUT.

Date: 01/11/18 10:17
Author: jwl1973

Yes, Tower A is losed at present on account of a major renovation of Cincinnati Union Terminal.

Glendale, Ohio is a good place to see both CSX and NS trains. The two roads have a directional running arrangement for northbound trains (primarily) between Cincinnati and Hamilton, OH. Glendale is off I-75 at the Sharon Road exit.

About a mile east of Glendale is NS's former PRR Newcastle District, which hosts both CSX and NS trains traveling south. It is the second half of the directional running scheme. Nearby is Sharon Yard (former NYC - Conrail), which is one of two NS yards in Cincinnati (the other being Gest St. downtown near CSX Queensgate Yard).

Amtrak travels through Glendale in both directions, usually in early morning hours unless really late.

Genesee & Wyoming has 2 roads in the area: Indiana & Ohio which operates the line between Cincinnati and Columbus plus several other branches. Sister company Central of Indiana (CIND) operates a line west into Indiana as far as Greensburg, where there is a Honda auto assembly plant. On the lower west side of Cincinnati, CIND and CSX Indiana Sub. run side-by side for several miles.

There are numerous photo options around town . . . these are just a few.

If you are into model railroading, you may want to visit Entertainment Junction, located a few miles north of Cincinnati -- I-75 Tylersville Road exit. It has several very large model railroads in various scales.

Date: 01/11/18 13:02
Author: SantaFeRuss

Queensgate yard has a 4 lane street that goes over the middle of the yard. Sidewalks on both sides. Great vantage point for the yard. I can't remember the name of the street though. The street is kind of busy. Good photos of yard operations to be had. Lots of trains on both Norfolk Southern and Chessie Seaboard (CSX).

SantaFeRuss

Date: 01/11/18 16:05
Author: cabsignaldrop

I believe that is Hopple Street. Cincinnati is a great railroad town, lots of traffic and a few neat little short line operations. Make sure to get some Cincinnati chili, Camp Washington IS the best. But Skyline, Goldstar and Dixie Chili will do in a pinch.

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Queensgate yard has a 4 lane street that goes over
> the middle of the yard. Sidewalks on both sides.
> Great vantage point for the yard. I can't remember
> the name of the street though. The street is kind
> of busy. Good photos of yard operations to be had.
> Lots of trains on both Norfolk Southern and
> Chessie Seaboard (CSX).
>
> SantaFeRuss

Date: 01/11/18 17:20
Author: PRR_4859

Is the NS trackage that is part of the directional running CTC, ABS, or dark territory?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 01/11/18 17:24
Author: K8DTI

I need to update it, but a good start is www.cincyrails.com

Date: 01/11/18 18:20
Author: K8CNW

The NS part of the directional running is the Newcastle District and is all CTC. It is also covered well via ATCS so you can see what's coming. You can also view trains in Hamilton Ohio where the directional running begins/ends on the north end. Not a very scenic area in my opinion but it's very busy and easily accessible. Hamilton and the NS running north (railroad west) is also very well covered on ATCS so you can see where trains are coming. Not far north of Hamilton, NS trains really pick up speed so it's nice for fast moving trains.

Another busy spot south of town is Walton, KY. Norfolk Southern's 1st District crosses over CSX's LCL sub to Louisville. There is a grade a mile or so south of the overpass that is a good place to watch NS trains at speed.

Finally, I run an audio feed on broadcastify that covers the Cincinnati area pretty well. It's a good asset if you don't have a scanner or don't know the frequencies: https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/21235/web

-Brian

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the NS trackage that is part of the directional
> running CTC, ABS, or dark territory?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/18 18:21 by K8CNW.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds