Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX intermodal issues in Norfolk?

Date: 04/18/18 07:39
CSX intermodal issues in Norfolk?
Author: Lackawanna484

The subject of intermodal "issues" in Norfolk VA area came up on the conference call. Sounds like a confluence of not enough truckers to get the boxes off the property, and some problems at CSX.

Is NS seeing similar issues, or are the problems specific to CSX?

Thanks

Date: 04/18/18 07:49
Re: CSX intermodal issues in Norfolk?
Author: ns1000

I don't think this is limited to CSX. I know UP has been having similar issues at their Global facilities near Chicago.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/18/18 07:55
Author: CGTower

Its all over...local shippers here are in a real catch 22. They cannot rely on CSX (in some instances) to get product, now their trucking side is struggling to keep up with any thing the railroad cannot handle. On the flip side, if the railroad can provide service (like our regional companies seem to be able to do), they are starting to win back business...

BUT...

With that said, the same regional companies are dealing with CSX too!

It's a mess...

CG

Date: 04/18/18 15:18
Author: PowellWye

Have to wonder if some of this is due to the E-log mandate for driver time?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/18/18 20:32
Author: Lackawanna484

PowellWye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have to wonder if some of this is due to the E-log
> mandate for driver time?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Yes, several companies have mentioned it in earnings calls. Speed and hours worked.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/18 11:46
Author: wmbrakeman

thank god for E Log , as retired Commercial driver I wish the Trucking and Bus Industry had as strong regulation on Hours as Rail Road and Airlines , so many Loop Holes that could leave me out 18-22 hours and all Legal ,

Date: 04/19/18 12:04
Author: mully

Would some of this just have to do with road traffic congestion in the tidewater area? Not an expert by any means but would it help to put an inland port at Crewe on NS as an example and locals move containers to port by rail then truck from Crewe? CSX could put one at Fulton maybe?

Just a thought
Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0293 seconds