Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Remaining PRR Position Lights

Date: 06/13/18 18:22
Remaining PRR Position Lights
Author: PRR8423

I will be riding #43 from NY Penn to Pittsburgh in a couple weeks and am curious if there are still any original PRR signals left on the route across Pennsylvania.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/13/18 18:56
Re: Remaining PRR Position Lights
Author: RuleG

Norfolk Southern recently begun the process of replacing the PRR position light signals located just east of the Amtrak Station in Pittsburgh. Most of these may be gone by the time of your trip. However, one signal for which I have not yet seen a replacement is at CP BLOOM which is used by the Capitol Limited to leave the NS Pittsburgh Line to enter the CSX P & W Subdivision.

Date: 06/13/18 20:16
Author: toledopatch

There are still numerous PRR position lights in service across Pennsylvania for now, but their ranks are thinning. Between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, new signals are being erected only at home signals, because intermediates are to be removed in favor of going cab-signal-only between interlockings. So until they are removed, the intermediate waysides will be unencumbered with replacements near them.

Date: 06/14/18 12:19
Author: twropr

There MIGHT still be some PRR-era signals between Zoo and Paoli (and possibly on go Thorn) as Amtrak has done very little modernization on the Main Line east of Park, the only exceptions being Paxton interlocking (near Overbrook) and Frazer just west of Paoli. Between Park and Harrisburg there are Amtrak installed color position light signals.
Andy

Date: 06/16/18 10:23
Author: toledopatch

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There MIGHT still be some PRR-era signals between
> Zoo and Paoli (and possibly on go Thorn) as Amtrak
> has done very little modernization on the Main
> Line east of Park, the only exceptions being
> Paxton interlocking (near Overbrook) and Frazer
> just west of Paoli. Between Park and Harrisburg
> there are Amtrak installed color position light
> signals.
> Andy

Yes, there are lots of PRR position-lights between Paoli and ZOO; I'm not sure about west of Paoli. This is at Villanova station.

Date: 06/16/18 19:29
Author: OCtrainguy

I was in the Altoona area over Memorial Day weekend. The PRR signals we saw were in Fostoria (Antis Twp) as seen in this photo, Lilly, Portage and Summerhill.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds