Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Horseshoe Curve on May 26th

Date: 06/19/18 18:01
Horseshoe Curve on May 26th
Author: OCtrainguy

Over Memorial Day Weekend, I made a trip to Altoona, PA for the first time in eight years. My son was as eager to go as I was. He really wanted to back to Horseshoe Curve, so we spent a chunk of the afternoon there on May 26th. Here are some photos.

1. Welcome sign at the entrance to the curve as a helper set assists a train up the mountain
2. With the trees/shrubbery trimmed, we get this nice view of an eastbound oil train coming down the mountain
3. The power for the oil train was a pair of rebuilds as a child uses her dad's shoulders for a better view

A few more to follow..

Date: 06/19/18 18:04
Re: Horseshoe Curve on May 26th

Continuing the photos.

4. The eastern leg of the curve is nice an open as a westbound mixed freight climbs the mountain
5. A pair of helpers on a westbound intermodal train
6. An eastbound oil train eases down the curve as a westbound climbs it

A couple more left..

Date: 06/19/18 18:17

The last photo and two videos.

7. A westbound helper set
8. Video of a westbound mixed freight on the eastern leg of the curve. One engine up front and a helper set on the rear.
9. Partial video of the end of an eastbound oil train on the eastern leg of the curve

Hope you enjoy!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/19/18 18:28
Author: Pattenburg

In your fourth photo it looks like a group of people standing in the clearing. Was that a group of people? All are a nice series of images.

Date: 06/19/18 19:59
Author: Curt

I've seen video shot from that spot. From the other side of the curve you can make out some trails, but I could never find how to get there.

Date: 06/19/18 20:18
Author: osp1729

They are trails that ATV's use. Last time I was there we saw several ATV's at this location with people stopping to apparently watch some of the action around the curve. I'm not sure how to get back to that area either, but it would be an interesting place to shoot from. I'm sure some of the locals know how to get up there.

Shawn

Date: 06/20/18 04:20
Author: BCutter

IIRC -- there are PA State Gamelands around and abutting the Curve. These are open to any member of the public. But I would suggest caution in hunting season! As mentioned, many of them have legally accessible ATV trails. Legal access (e.g. non-trespass on NS) on that side of the curve has been a subject of several discussions on TO over the years so do a search. As I also recall from the recesses of my fading mind, legal land measurements are measured using horizontal distance, not slope distance. So -- if you assume that the R-O-W extends 50 horizontal feet from the centerline of the outermost track and you are standing on a 45 degree (aka 100%) slope, you will need to be at least 70+ slope feet away to be off the R-O-W. Good luck!

Bruce

Date: 06/20/18 12:54
Author: OldCond

Great set of photos, thanks for posting! What a difference a month makes! I rode around The Curve on April 19th on No.42 and not a tourist to be seen, but then again it was a cold damp day and it was snowing on and off. We also met a set of westbound helpers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/18 12:59 by OldCond.

Date: 06/20/18 16:52

I remember several discussions concerning the west side access of the curve as you wouldn't need to cross the NS tracks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0652 seconds